PDA

View Full Version : Could the show have moved to Universal Studios?

szman
January 2nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
You Can't Do That On Television ended close to the sametime Nickelodeon Studios in Univeral Studios: Orlando opened.

If the show stayed on the air a little longer, could you see the show moving from canada to the Nickelodeon studios?

I am sure Nickelodeon would have pushed for that move. Would Mr. Price allow that to happen? Would they be a canadian backlash if the show moved to the U.S.? Remember how pissed off canadians were when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the L.A. Kings.

One other importanat factor, how many of the castmembers could still be on the show if the show moved. We are talking about kids, I don't know how many parents would allow their kids to work in Florida. Lot of people believe the move from Orlando to Los Angeles is why almost half of the original cast of All That left that show.

slime2005
January 2nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
Someone told me several years ago who lives in that area that Nickelodeon would have made more episodes at the new Nick Studios, but Roger Price wanted to retire from making a show he's been making since the 70s.

avaitor
January 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
the studios is also the reason behind the cancellation of hey dude.

szman
January 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Do you think the canadian fans of the show would have been pissed, calling the show a sellout and the show lose a lot of canadaian fans? Or would they have understood that if Nickelodeon was willing to pay a lot of money to move the show to Orlando, good for Roger Price and the show to take that money.

I don't think they mind that much, because it was not shot in a studio audience anyway. The only ones who would be upset and understandably so where the people that work at the Ottawa studios, who would lose jobs and money.

BBOvenGuy
January 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
As Nickelodeon grew - largely thanks to YCDTOTV - they became increasingly resentful of the fact that their number one show was something they bought from a "subcontractor." I'd be surprised if they hadn't thought about moving the show to Orlando.

However, there would have been a lot of problems if they'd tried. I never knew any of the kids who were in the 1989-90 shows (other than the few carryovers from 1986), so I can't say what their families would have done. On the other hand, I think it's safe to say that neither Les nor Abby would have been willing to move. Then they would have probably had to start with an all-new production crew, since the YCDTOTV crew worked for CJOH and wouldn't have left there. And if that wasn't enough, there would also have been the matter of the rights held by Carlton Productions/CJOH.

In other words, there would have been so many obstacles and complications that it would probably have made more sense just to can YCDTOTV and start a brand new show that was based in Florida. And since All That made its debut around that time, I'd say that's what Nickelodeon did.

szman
January 2nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Speaking of All That for a moment, you have a point about the kids families.

Because when All That moved from Orlando to Hollywood after the second season. (when Amanda Bynes joined the cast) it caused problems, and many people think the reason the original cast was broken up so soon. Angelique Bates lef the show when it moved to Hollywood, Katrina Johnson and Alisa Reyes left one season after the move to Hollywood, and some believe they left because of the Hollywood move.

If moving from one city to another city but staying in the same country can cause problems, moving not only form city to city, but from county to county would be something else. Though Ottawa is closer to Orlando, than Orlando is to Hollywood.

You might have a point about Nickelodeon resentment, after three seasons of terriable sketch comedy, and when it shows improvement All That is canceled, just when it had as many seasons as YCDTOTV. Nickelodeon might have made a subcondense decession, that no matter how bad the show gets, All That will stay on the air as long as You Can't Do That On Television was on the air. All That should have ended in the 2000 season.

YCDTOTV should have ended after the 1987 season, but staying on the air one or two seasons longer than you should is normal. Staying on the air for almost five seasons longer than you should is crazy.

Kids from the 80's had YCDTOTV as "their" show, kids from the 90's had All That as "their" show. Kids from this decade did not have their own sketch comedy show. All they had was the 90's kids leftovers. (I was born in 82, got cable in 89, I am in that mediem age range, that grow up with both shows)

temasongu
January 30th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Although I wasn't a terribly big fan of All That, I do think Nickelodeon made a wise choice in creating it. It was at a time just after the YCDTOTV generation had grown up as did the cast members, both causing ratings to slip and ultimately bringing about cancellation. And having the YCDTOTV name split among two generations just wasn't ideal since it would have inevitably been seen differently among them. I'm sure Nickelodeon learned so by seeing such a split between the '89-'90 seasons and earlier ones. And judging by Bob's words about Nickelodeon's attitude on the whole situation, they seemed to have large enough desire to produce shows of their own. I imagine that's part of the reason they built Nickelodeon Studios in the first place. So a new show with a new name and fresh cast was a perfect idea to suit both their new viewers and direction of their business.

But as far as moving production to from Ottawa to Orlando, I don't think Nickelodeon would have tried it, especially that late in the game. The show was over the hill by that point and I'm sure they understood that moving somewhere else wouldn't help much. Now if they opened Nickelodeon Studios, say, around the time they first picked up the show, it would have been feasable. But not much hope otherwise.

From a business perspective all of this seems reasonable. Nickelodeon started small, found a product that gave them a good reputation and profit, gained enough money to expand and try new things (like Nickelodeon Studios), and began making new products of their own making their business expand even more.

LastoftheGypsies
January 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I was a HUGE fan of All That in the early days, and I wondered why so much of the early cast seemed to leave around the same time. Also, wasn't it after the second season that Angelique left? I'm almost positive it was, because I seem to remember Ashley joining the cast in 1996, because I'm pretty sure Angelique was still on in 1995, since I remember watching new episodes of All That with her in them after we moved to Cincinnati in summer 1995. Or is my memory just playing tricks on me?

CappieGuy
January 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I watched that show and remembered the early ones and Angelique was just in 1 season then Amanda (If thats who you mean by Ashley..."Thaaaaaaaatttttttt's Meeeeeeeee") started in 2nd. Never saw them together.

LastoftheGypsies
January 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM
AGH! I'm stupid! OF COURSE it was Amanda. I'm so sorry...

I don't mean seeing them together, I mean that I thought Angelique's last season was 2, and that Amanda started in 3.

szman
January 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
AGH! I'm stupid! OF COURSE it was Amanda. I'm so sorry...

I don't mean seeing them together, I mean that I thought Angelique's last season was 2, and that Amanda started in 3.

Yes that is correct.

The only episode Amanda and Angelique both appeared in, is of course the 100th episode special.

I remember when All That returned with new episodes in the fall of 1996 with the original cast, I thought that was the 3rd season and the all of the original castmembers are coming back for another season. After about 6 episodes the season ended. Then in November 1996 the third season began with Amanda joining the cast and Angelique was gone and I was surprised, because I thought the 3rd season began all ready.

Since the 2nd season, All That has had long mid season breaks. I later learned that the reason they originally had these mid season breaks was so Kenan and Kel could shoot their tv show "Kenan and Kel."

Am I the only one, who thinks you can devide season 1-3 and season 4-6 into two eras. Between season 3 and 4 had the most dramitic cast change before the complete overal after season 6.

szman
January 30th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Speaking of Ask Ashley, that was one of my favorite characters on the show. But I felt around season 5 or 6, they should have retired the character.

Once Amanda got older, the whole point of sketch was lost about a little girl yelling at people. They have retired other characters on the show like Baggin Saggin Barry because of castmembers age.

szman
January 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM
And having the YCDTOTV name split among two generations just wasn't ideal since it would have inevitably been seen differently among them. I'm sure Nickelodeon learned so by seeing such a split between the '89-'90 seasons and earlier ones.

You mean like the older generation rips and berates the new All That. Whatever Nickelodeon learned, they forgot around 2000 or 2001.

I agree, if YCDTOTV continued deep into the 90's it would have been the same, with the people that grow up with the show in the 80's ripping it.

CappieGuy
January 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have to say I started watching All That after I started watching Figure It Out. I loooooovvvvvveeee that game show. The panelists' questions were hilarious and the slimings were great. Its too bad that this show was underrated. I am so glad Alisa did only 2 episodes cuz she was so annoying and disrupting the game. Is it me or do you think Lori Beth would have made a good host for YCDTOTV 2000 cuz her personality kinda is like Moose. Thank god I taped that game show. Hehehe.

szman
January 30th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Lori Beth was the closest thing All That had to a host. She was the glue of the show in my opinion. In a way, she was the Abby for the show also, playing most of the adult female characters.

slime2005
January 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
OMG, Lori Beth Denberg was my absolute favorite star on all of Nickelodeon, next to Christine McGlade. She NEVER failed to make me laugh, literally. I loved her so much! My parents used to watch the show with me. Their favorite skits were Good Burger and the librarian. They were my favorites too, but I also loved Complaint Department (with good ol' Lori Beth in the silly wig!). Anyone remember that? How about "Okrah", the spoof on Oprah Winfrey with Kel Mitchell playing her. Haha! I would give $60 each of the first 4 or 5 seasons on DVD.

In my opinion, the Ask Ashley skits were a signal of the show's decline. I didn't think it was funny from the very start, and I was like 12 then. :?

avaitor
January 31st, 2006, 07:24 AM
OMG, Lori Beth Denberg was my absolute favorite star on all of Nickelodeon, next to Christine McGlade. She NEVER failed to make me laugh, literally. I loved her so much! My parents used to watch the show with me. Their favorite skits were Good Burger and the librarian. They were my favorites too, but I also loved Complaint Department (with good ol' Lori Beth in the silly wig!). Anyone remember that? How about "Okrah", the spoof on Oprah Winfrey with Kel Mitchell playing her. Haha! I would give $60 each of the first 4 or 5 seasons on DVD.

In my opinion, the Ask Ashley skits were a signal of the show's decline. I didn't think it was funny from the very start, and I was like 12 then. :?

i think that in the first six,josh severe was the host.

LastoftheGypsies
January 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM
I actually really loved the original "Ask Ashley" sketch (as evidenced by my subconsciously calling Amanda "Ashley"), but I do feel it went downhill quickly after that. It would've worked much better as just a one-time thing.

Katrina was my favorite of the original "All That" cast, the lemonade stand bits were so classic ("WAAAAHHH!! My mommy said that if I don't sell enough lemonade, we can't send my puppy to college! WAHHHHH!!"). But my sister and I (we were 11 and 6 when the show started) loved the "Good Burger" skits most of all...we thought those were so hilarious, we often fell on the floor laughing...those are probably the fondest memories I have of my sister, in between the incidents of her beating me up, etc, but that's another story altogether.

I used to have a bunch of classic All That episodes on tape, but I'll be damned if I know what happened to them all. I have one still, but it's only partial.

slime2005
January 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Katrina was great too. I think I still have this one sketch on tape, The Wizard of Coz where she played Dorothy. I always loved that one...

"Toto, something tells me I'm not in my bathroom anymore."

the man made of pasta (instead of straw)- "I have no sauce! :("

Lori Beth played the good witch and when Dorothy asked, "who are you?!", and she says awkardly, "uh... Lisa.. WELCOME to the land of Coz!"

I have one or two other nearly complete episodes of the classics. I know I have one of the spoofs on Cops and it was about them arresting everyone that has cheese (instead of illegal drugs. Reminds you of the Drugs episode of YCDTOTV, doesn't it? :)). Theme song- "Bad cheese. Bad cheese. Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when there's cheese on you!"

Especially later on, the Ask Ashley skit best resembles what Nickelodeon is today- kids screaming, throwing fits, and overacting.

szman
January 31st, 2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone remember Superdude? He was a superhero played by Kenan Thompson. I loved that sketch. After the Good Burger movie, should have made Superdude the movie as a follow up.

More people from my generation know what lastoast intolerante (though we still don't how to spell it correctly as you can see) mean than any other generation because of the Superdude sketch. In high school, my teacher asked us what lastoast intolerante meant, almost everyone in class knew the answer. I remember, anytime someone said to him "Your the best Superdude, even if you are lastoast intolerant", Superdude would hug the person.

Another favorite of mine was Baggin Sacking Barry, another Kenan character who has baggin saggin pants with lots of things inside including a plane, a bady, Abroham Lincoln. With the pants and the hat, he looked a lot like Rerun from What's Happening!!

Bob Morris
January 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
I liked Lori Beth Denberg as well. Anyone know if she's still doing any acting?

Kenan Thompson was great too. He carried the live action Fat Albert movie on his back and made it at least watchable.

Molly Dolly
June 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM
A similar problem has happened with The Simpsons - it's run for almost two decades so more than one generation has grown up with it - those that grew up with it in the early-mid '90s clash with those that grew up with it in the late '90s and early-mid-'00s

MarlinsFanY2K
June 25th, 2006, 12:51 AM
And since All That made its debut around that time, I'd say that's what Nickelodeon did.

Late to the party with this comment, but as I recall, All That wasn't the most direct replacement for YCDTOTV, only the most successful one. The one that came right after YCDTOTV's demise was the show Roundhouse. Admittedly for a slightly older set (ie, 13-16), Roundhouse started in 1992 and ran until 1995 in the SNICK block on Saturday nights. It combined comedy with music numbers, dancing and a hip-hop, more modern attitude than YCDTOTV had. It was a fairly clever and witty show, well produced and interesting. Nothing like YCDTOTV, really, other than that it was a comedy show for kids and teens. The important thing here is that Roundhouse was owned by Viacom (Nick's parent company) and so was a company property they could exploit.

All That would not premiere until 1994 and its quick success, from what I can tell, more or less closed the door on Roundhouse. But it was really Roundhouse that Nick used to replace YCDTOTV as their showpiece comedy franchise.

dumas
June 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I liked Lori Beth Denberg as well. Anyone know if she's still doing any acting?

Kenan Thompson was great too. He carried the live action Fat Albert movie on his back and made it at least watchable.

and Kenan Thompson is doing a good job on Saturday Night Live(SNL) as well (and currently the only member of SNL born after the 1st airing of SNL in 1975). Imagine what if Lisa and Christine had been on SNL... :wink:

If YCDTOTV had spawned over 2 or even 3 decades like SNL currently did (and MAD-tv seems to follow the same path as SNL), we could had fun to compare which era was the best like SNL fans do by comparing the Dan Arkyold-John Belushi-Chevy Chase era vs Phil Hartman-Mike Myers-Adam Sandler-Dana Carvey-Chris Farley era.

LastoftheGypsies
June 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
If YCDTOTV had spawned over 2 or even 3 decades like SNL currently did (and MAD-tv seems to follow the same path as SNL), we could had fun to compare which era was the best like SNL fans do by comparing the Dan Arkyold-John Belushi-Chevy Chase era vs Phil Hartman-Mike Myers-Adam Sandler-Dana Carvey-Chris Farley era.

I think we can already do that with YCDTOTV...

88survivor
June 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Lori Beth appeared in Dodgeball.

JBY529
July 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'd like to mention just for grins that the All That reunion episode had the exact same ending as Project 131, the YCDTOTV reunion show.

88survivor
July 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
It did.....woah. :)

MooseFan
July 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Back to the original topic -

It seems like this is related to another thought I've had - that of Roger Price's desire to leave, and CJOH's unwillingness to do the show without him. While great credit goes to Mr Price, I think for the show to have continued, a substantial infusion fo "new blood" creativly would have been required.. Many here seem to think the 89/90 episodes to be little more than revisiting old material. At some point, for the show to continue, new material would have been needed.

consider SNL, perhaps the best example of how long a sketch comedy program can last. The show has gone theough several complete cyclings of personel, both cast and creative personel, allowing it to stay fresh. Could this have happened at YCDTOTV?

88survivor
July 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM
With All That now canceled and having lasted 11 years.......I guess kid comedy sketches are destined not to last.

slime2005
July 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM
...especially on Nickelodeon. But at least they have a long run. (except for Roundhouse, I personally always thought it sucked and couldn't understand why others liked it)

88survivor
July 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I have a theory as to why kid variety shows are destined not to last:

It is usually because the changes with the cast members themselves. Terrific example is Kids Incorporated. Lasted from 1984-1993, the only longest and original cast member from to stay their for five seasons was Stacie Ferguson(Black Eyed Peas' Fergie). Same with Moose in YCDTOTV....she was their from the beginning(minus the absence) and has always been the most popular member ever. It sounds odd, but if you grew with a cast member that always stayed on the show longer than others, then you grew use to that. It could also be that maybe kid variety shows might have too many kid actors through all the seasons, but it could also be when they premiered. For example, Kids Incorporated was an 80s show with singing and life lessons. However, when the 90s came, it is looked upon as old news. I guess that is what happen to YCDTOTV. An 80s show in the 90s does not bode well with the future generation. Sounds sad, I know, but I guess the answer is that if you have the main adult characters over 30 and also the kids getting much older than their previous age...I guess that all adds up for cancelation

That is just my thoughts on that.

MooseFan
July 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Changing of the cast is not unique to kids variety shows - SNL has seen many cast members come and go. But for a show to go on, it needs to keep bringing forth new and fresh ideas. Even the most brilliant creative geniuses are going to run out of material sometimes - like "Everybody Loves Raymond," they said they just were running out of material.

Also, with shows that are sucessful for a number of years, there can be a tendancy to "keep doing what works," keep re-using the same gags, instead of trying out new ones, which seems to happen in the later YCDTOTV episodes.

88survivor
July 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Really? I never knew that...thanks for the info.