PDA

View Full Version : The 1979 episodes...still collector's items?

FabulousAndThick
March 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM
According to Wikipedia (LOL to me, one of the internet's most reliable sources), there are three home video-recorded tapes of the 1979 season and they are considered collector's items:

>>Only three full episodes from this season are still in existence, due to home video recordings being made the day the episodes were broadcast. These episodes are extremely rare and considered collector's items with YCDTOTV fans, since the studio masters no longer exist.<<

I'm new to this whole collecting business, and I wanted to know, are these still collectors items? And if so, where can I find them?

LastoftheGypsies
March 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Not since they've been made available for sale as bootlegs, but they're still a bit more rare than the rest of the series.

TheLockerMonster
March 19th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Not since they've been made available for sale as bootlegs, but they're still a bit more rare than the rest of the series.

It also depends on what generation you're getting. I'm proud to say I have 2nd generation with copies directly from the original owner. I'd expect the more generations, the lesser the quality...

I need to get mine transferred to DVD before the tapes start to degrade...

Rob

FabulousAndThick
March 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
How exactly did you go about getting these copies?

Are they the 1979 season? I wanna be sure...

slime2005
March 19th, 2006, 01:44 PM
In my opinion, whatever generation they are they're fascinating to watch because most of us knew the show only from Nickelodeon, all taped and all comedy. Seeing these very early shows when the format of the show was a bit different is a treat.

YCDTOTV trading in general seems to have pretty much died now, so it looks like it'd be hard to get any episodes if you avoid the eBay auctions. It's not like 6 years ago when there were a lot more people exchanging.