Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DobBole
    replied
    Hey any news on when the Don't Look Now episodes will be posted? As ashamed as I am to admit it, that show was actually my original introduction to YCDTOTV, so the anticipation of revisiting that childhood relic is killing me!

Leave a comment:

• banana man
    replied
    Thanks. This worked out great for me as I had exactly 14 episodes left to watch when these were uploaded. Now, I am alternating between the final 14 episodes and the first 14 episodes to finish off the series. It makes for an interesting perspective of how much it changed over the years, yet stayed true to it's original vision. I'm loving these and appreciate all the hard work it must have taken.

That said, as per this discussion, the objections/criticisms/nerd rage over the gigantic watermark across all of their faces is certainly understandable.

Personally I can live with it, and I am having a blast watching them.

Leave a comment:

• DobBole
    replied
    Hey did the Don't Look Now episodes ever get uploaded somewhere? I checked on Youtube & Itunes and didn't find them but remember there being discussion about them being uploaded as well. Siked to see them, whether they're watermarked or not!

Leave a comment:

• ssjup81
    replied
    Why hasn't there been more discussion about these eps? >_<

Leave a comment:

• ChrisInMI
    replied
    A couple more observations now that I'm halfway through episode 13 and only have the last one to go - although I did skip ahead and watch the stage-pollution parts of episode 14:

- Some great slimings in episode 14! The second one on Marc was almost as good as Jim's in Executive Washrooms (though he sort of did a "Justin Cammy" and flinched). And when Liz dumps the slime on Moose and Schenk, it almost looks like 1982 slime.
    - Looks to me like Tim Douglas was the original Moose. I say this because he seemed to be to the '79 season what Christine was starting in the 1981 season - the one who had the most unfortunate things happen to him, whether it was being the first one ever to be slimed, being pied in virtually every ep he was in, being rejected multiple times by Cyndi, or somehow ending up in a dress in virtually every ep he was in. To me, it seems like Geoff and Roger took that part of Tim's persona and projected it onto Christine. Plus, Tim seems to be almost as quick-witted and naturally funny as Christine was.
    - The disco dancing segments are more interesting to me because of the music than because of the dancing itself. "Le Freak" was obviously the song most often used as accompaniment for the disco dancing, which is fine because it's a great record, but it's even more interesting to hear some of the other songs the dancers chose which have been lost to time in the past 34 years. Also, I hate to say it but Jim Johnson kind of gets on my nerves, especially when he's trying to make a joke. He is no Christine McGlade.
    - I like Brad Hampson and Marc myself. Brad is adorable when introducing that Kiss video and as "the class clown." Marc Balloon - I mean Baillon - is just all-around awesome.
    - Another "one episode wonder" I like but who it seems wasn't used much, perhaps because he was rather old and tall, is Gordon Smith in episode 4. He seemed pretty polished to me, and also looked like he could have been a Jono or Kevin-like teen idol for the show if he'd been used more.

Leave a comment:

• slime2005
    replied
    I can't wait for these to be released, whether official or HQ downloads. This first season is fascinating to watch! Having gone from a live, local show to the all-comedy signature show on Nickelodeon that we all know and got the network to become what it is now.

I'm still going through these. Eleven "new" 1-hour episodes is a lot to take in!

Leave a comment:

• ssjup81
    replied
    I've watched all of the eps so far....some quite few times. lol Seriously, I love Jono! He's such a great cast member, imo so the eps with him were a treat to see and Jono and Kevin's dynamics worked great onscreen, just like in WTYO. I really wish that both would've been used in 1981 more together since they worked off of each other so well, which can be attributed to the fact that they were real life friends.

That aside, I will say this, I really really prefer 1979 YCDTOTV Marc compared to WTYO Marc (minus the pilot). For YCDTOTV, he seemed much more lively and energetic or something. He seemed to be having more fun for those eps. That's the best way I can describe it. For WTYO, he was mellowed out, imo. Also, Marc seemed to be a natural (1979 episodes). Compared to some of the other kids, he didn't seem to come across as nervous so easily (unless he made an obvious goof up during a live segment, like most anyone would). I already mentioned Brad Hampson. He was great! He was very natural. It's a shame he wasn't carried over to WTYO, but as he mentioned, they didn't have the budget to use more than just six, seven kids. He also said when he did the show, he was 16 (which surprised me as I figured he was a little younger), and that he was getting too old (like Sarah, who wasn’t interested in continuing given that she was 17 at the time). I guess, at that point (WTYO), maybe Marc wasn't fully into it anymore given how he was forced to quit as a whole. It would've been interesting to see how things would've worked out if he'd been around for 1981 along with Jono and Kevin.

Elizabeth was nice and sassy. She was fun to watch and it’s sad that she wasn’t used more in WTYO (Lisa too for that matter). I guess this was due to the fact that her parents weren’t really thrilled over her doing the show (to my knowledge). I also didn't know that the gag with her was that she looked like a boy, which was pretty funny. Oh, and I must say that I loved episode 14 with the Kevin/Liz/Kevin love triangle! I loved it for WTYO when they used the skit from YCDTOTV ep 14 for Rodney and Lisa. I kinda like how it worked in YCDTOTV more with Kevin and Liz. For the ep it was more obvious that the two were supposed to have liked one another (Kevin: I'll break every bone in his stupid body. I’ll bust his kneecaps. I’ll boil his guts in oil [I think he said oil]…”), whereas for WTYO, it was one-sided (Lisa > Rodney), despite Moose saying, "We know he likes you." Nope, wasn't shown or implied enough since Rodney's character was so, "Girls yuck." lol Funny how he wasn’t depicted that way in the 1979 series (I thought it was funny how Rodney asked Sarah out on a date and how he got turned down because he was too young and to come back in a few years and how he said by then, you’ll be too old oh and the locker joke where he asked her out and how she said something about taking care of a baby and how he missed the fact she was referring to him and how he said to get a babysitter). Schenk and Liz were showing jealousy and Schenk never seemed to have a "Girls are icky" thing to him, like they did with Rodney (but the payoff with Rodney and Lisa was more entertaining with Rodney showing that he did like girls and kissing). lol

Speaking of Schenk, I didn't realize how often he appeared in the '79 eps. Compared to the regulars who were carried over to 1981, he had the most eps (not counting Moose). I like him, and I really was glad that when it was time to present the prize for the Unger contest, that they used him for it. Watching the other eps (before these other ones were “found”), I was constantly saying, "They should use Kevin for this, since he's into drawing." It was nice to see him talking with Unger about the prize and how into it he got, where I think he missed his cue as he was cut right off.

Other cast members I thought were pretty fun to see was Mike Patton (he has a loveable oaf way about him), Tim (I just wanted to give him a hug since he was always so screwed over lol), Diedre (why in the world wasn't she used more?!), Cyndi (finally got to see the famous shaving cream pie scene with her, and I noticed, as someone else did, that after that happened, she wasn’t on the link set), and Jim Stetchyson (I thought he was a natural too and there was something about him I liked).

Now, as for the ‘79 season as a whole, I really love it and it definitely has rewatch value for me! I like the Disco segments (although, I don’t mean to be a Negative Nancy, with the quality and the watermarks, it was a bit difficult to watch it…hurt the eyes some for me), and I liked seeing the local contest stuff. I liked the rarity of the slimings and how they were done. In later seasons, seems they were going out of their way to come up with any reason to do slimings. I also like the hour-long format, which is why I've been enjoying the few hour-long 1981 eps floating around. IMO, some of the eps were linked better in the hour-long 1981 episodes compared to their shortened 30-minute counterparts.
    Something else I found charming were the flubs the kids obviously made and maybe missed cues. I just liked it for some reason. It has a certain charm to it. They really felt like down-to-earth everyday people, you know? They also seemed very relatable, in that manner.

Oh, the executions....wow. lol The electric chair. So, in you guys' opinion, which do you think is worse? Firing squad or the electric chair? lol (BTW, I felt Marc did the execution bits really well). I wonder how Marc would’ve handled the firing squad executions…

Capitan: Ready, aim….
    Marc: Wait, stop the execution!
    Capitan: What is it now, Balloon?
    Marc: That’s Baillon.
    Capitan: Whatever…

You guys finish up the sketch. lol

Let’s see, what other things did I enjoy…oh Ross. I found him pretty entertaining and it’s nice how throughout the entirety of the series, his character pretty much remained intact. Of course the kids were changed up over time…somewhat (can only think of how Moose seemed to become a scapegoat for the show and the butt of fat jokes along with Lisa who became a motor mouth).

Since watching these eps, I’m even more hopeful of them getting an official DVD release someday. I’d definitely buy it, and I’d also hope for nice bonus goodies. I wish they could get more interviews with the 1979 cast. I’d love to hear something from Schenk and about his experience on the show and WTYO as opposed to reading what others have to say about him, like Liz for example mentioned that Kevin was a very quiet kid. I could picture that, actually. It doesn’t surprise me.
    Other eps and things I liked…I’ll get back to you on that. lol

Leave a comment:

• ChrisInMI
    replied
    First of all, I want to thank you profusely, David, for sharing these episodes with us. Watermarks or not (and they don't bother me as much as they do others - if these are the only way we get to see these eps for now, I can live with it), I am now about two-thirds of the way through watching the '79 season and have enjoyed it so far. The old commercials and CJOH promos in the episodes which have those intact are particularly charming - I used to have a copy of a tape which included the Executive Washrooms episode but my VCR ate it, so it was nice to see that "You never looked better" song/long-form jingle again. I love old airchecks whether they be radio or TV, and having the commercials included makes those eps that include them essentially airchecks of CJOH from the winter/spring of 1979. It's charming, especially since CJOH no longer identifies with its call letters... it's just "CTV Ottawa" now.

I got up to episode 10 last night, and here are some observations I've had thus far:
    - She was only in one episode - two if you count her playing the assistant librarian in episode 10 - but I really like Deidre McIsaac. She reminds me a lot of Marcie from the "Peanuts" comic strip, not just in terms of appearance but in that she seemed to have a bit of a sarcastic/sardonic streak going. Too bad she didn't continue on with WTYO. Same for Cyndi Kennedy, Tim Douglas, and Sarah West. I have to assume they were all probably just too old for it.
    - Re: Cyndi - I really liked her performance as the mother in the "Get ready for school" skit with her and Kevin Schenk (remade with Ruth Buzzi for the WTYO pilot, as were many skits from that first season). In the other skits where she played Mrs. Prevert, her performance was much rougher (McCain's Deep & Delicious skit i.e.), but in that sketch she was just about perfect.
    - Elizabeth Mitchell is also very good, and frankly underutilized in these eps. She said in her interview with YCDTOTV.com that her parents were never very supportive of her acting, so I have to wonder what would have happened if she'd had the chance to continue on with WTYO when it became a regular series. Perhaps she would have even continued on into the 1981 season? She kind of had that cute "Moppet look" in '79, as did Lisa Ruddy, and we all know what happened to Lisa.
    - On the flip side of the coin, Ramona Helal. She was cute, but she couldn't act. I have to wonder if there was some resentment in the family that Rodney got to continue on with the show as it went national and she didn't.
    - Good slimings! Great texture on the sliming of Roger's daughter (Jane I assume?) and Bryn Matthews' son, and Kevin Somers in episode 10 (the latter almost looked like 1982 slime).
    - I have to wonder if Price and Darby were fans of "Peanuts." Not just in the sense that Deidre reminds me a bit of Marcie, but in the sense that several of the gags are very similar to ones I recognize from "Peanuts" strips - i.e. "bent A's" as opposed to "straight A's", and the dialogue between Tim and Sarah where he asks her if she thinks it's possible that she could be in love with him and not know it is almost verbatim identical to a strip where Lucy is asking Schroeder the same thing. Could be just coincidence, but it's an intriguing thought.
    - Moose's handling of the phone-in contests etc. is just about flawless, while it seems like most of the other kids struggle with them a bit and sometimes have to be prompted for details of the contests. Which is not a criticism; it's just another part of the charm of these early eps.
    - I'm also seeing a few bits I remember were used, albeit briefly, in the Worst of YCDTOTV video cassettes. For example, in the episode where Kevin gets locked outside while Jono becomes the "star" of the show and Les Lye played the security guard; part of that scene was used for the montage of Les Lye's characters in Worst of.
    - In the first episode with R. Sole, he expresses his ambition of wanting to sell the show to the U.S., the U.K. and Australia. Who would have guessed back in March 1979 that this would actually happen some day, with YCDTOTV becoming a huge show in all three countries while its Canadian audience dwindled? Makes me think that Price and Darby had ambitions all along of taking the show national or even international.
    - Knowing the story about Cyndi swallowing the shaving cream when she was pied in episode 10, I watched carefully and noticed that she walks offstage and is not on the set with the other kids while the credits roll and they clown around with the shaving cream. If you listen in the background while Kevin Somers is pied, you can hear a sort of whimpering sound in the background. While that could have been Lisa (who was just pied before him), I wonder if it might have been an upset Cyndi. In any event, she had obviously recovered enough to do the live bits that Saturday morning. She did look like she didn't exactly enjoy being pied (even without swallowing the shaving cream). It sort of reminded me of Rekha Shah's slime scene in "Illness" '86 where she looked like she was in tears afterwards.
    Last edited by ChrisInMI; June 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Dillehunt
    replied
    Originally posted by GoingGreat View Post
    Why in the world were the initial descriptions for the episodes on iTunes synopses of never-since-seen 1979 episodes? It mentioned the Ottawa Water Slide and things like that. Why/how in the world...? Which leads me to believe that something has been planned for the "found" '79s for a while...
    That's a good question. As soon as I saw that description on iTunes in December I was wondering the same thing. However, if I'm not mistaken, everything that Nickelodeon mentions in their description can be found in the three existing 1979 episodes that have been floating around online for years -- whether seen in the episodes or mentioned by the cast during the link segments. If that's truly the case, I have every reason to believe that Nickelodeon does not even have copies of the entire season. When Roger found these episodes on VHS last year, along with a multitude of programs on Beta (including the complete "Don't Look Now!" pitch series), he was likely the only person in the world to have them. Files were sent to me for research (hence the episode guide update) and distribution inquiries.

I'm definitely hoping for the best possible outcome with all of this. If formal distribution can't be achieved, I will personally load every episode from 1979 and DLN! online in the highest possible quality.

Leave a comment:

• GoingGreat
    replied
    Episode 3

So I just watched episode 3 (for the record, I put scraps of dark paper over the corner watermarks on my monitor screen, it was better to just have blank space and it didn't distract nearly as much).

Wow... that is one of the right strangest things I think I've ever seen. (I haven't watched the first one, yet.) The whole time I kept thinking "How could anyone ever imagine this would one day anchor a network?!?!" I know they were finding their way and it was really a whole different beast, but man.

I loved it, but the seams were definitely showing. Each of the kids has a totally different style and confidence level. This one seems especially interesting because Jono and Kevin are the only recognizable people - no Christine or Alasdair to anchor, no familiar sidekicks. It's all so bizarro-world.

The roving camera joke with the super-hyper kid telling the story about going to heaven has to be the absolute best roving camera moment ever. I want to literally transcribe that word for word, it was amazing. Only on local Saturday morning children's television in Ottawa could that have happened. And the Mr. Rogers-esque camera guy is absolutely amazing. I completely lost it when he said the addresses of the stores for the second time with the EXACT same inflection as the first time. You couldn't parody it, it's too perfect.

But that super-long quasi-dramatic gender role-reversal scene has to be the most absolutely bizarre thing I've ever seen on any YCDT, and I include the disco dancing contests. I know they were experimenting with different sorts of things and didn't quite know what the show was yet, but wow. That was just from outer-outer space. On the other hand, the disco fashion show narrated by the local woman was truly spectacular.

Otherwise - the weather sketch is rightly a classic, but the Jono stripping scene really seems rather on the edge, even in context. I can see how "being in your underwear in front of people" is a legitimate kid nightmare and how part of the appeal of the show is seeing a nightmare come true, but it still seems rather, shall we say, forward. But outside of those, there's really nothing particularly standout-ish about any of the rest of it. It's fun to see that Ross bribery was a consistent plot point from the beginning. And I totally get why the Bus Inspector scenes wouldn't work outside of Canada, but they're so Klassic Komedy that I can't help but love them. "How long will the bus be?" "About 40 feet, just like all of them!" The bicep-curling all through the locker jokes was an odd touch. It's almost like a dream I was having about the locker jokes where everything's just a little bit wrong.

It's hard to see an episode like this as anywhere in the continuum of the show we grew up loving, but it's amazingly fun as its own thing. It's so specific to an exact moment in an exact place, and the roughness and the awkward improvs and the bad timing and the mismatched acting styles (that Brad kid with the singsongy smugness really grated on me) make it even better. But what's with all the rocking back and forth? Seriously - look at all the scenes where they're standing, it's like they're filmed on a slowly rolling ship.

Anyway, now that I know that this is not the only format in which these episodes will be preserved for all of time, it's easier to watch them as they are. I'm strangely excited to plunge into some more.

Leave a comment:

• vaghoul2k13
    replied
    thanks for the posts glad to see the first ever YCDTOTV episode...

take care everyone...

-Paul Michael from the Philippines

Leave a comment:

• ssjup81
    replied
    I put off housework to practically watch a chunk of the eps. Earlier in this thread I mentioned Brad. He was a great fit! I wish he would've been carried over and used way more. I'll write more when home, as I'm at work, but so far ep 4 is definitely my favorite! Jono love. lol. He was a fun cast member.

Leave a comment:

• slime2005
    replied
    First of all- thanks, David. I think you've cleared everything up. Hopefully Roger can work out a release. Knowing that we'll eventually get to view these episodes exactly as they are, I can settle for what's currently being shown to us.

Second- how about some comments on the episodes? The first episode looks and feels so unpolished, and the kids looked very nervous. They seem to have relaxed more by the following week's show that we've always known as CJOH Shoestring. Also, Brad Hampson was such a natural, had confident attitude, and seemed to have really enjoyed being on the show. It's sad that he wasn't used more often.

Leave a comment:

• GoingGreat
    replied
    I suppose I should chime in...

Thank you for the further context, David. I suppose I was rather hasty in disparaging your documentary - I know how difficult making things are and that it takes superhuman effort to finish anything and release it. It's just that self-promotion is a pet peeve of mine, well-beyond anything on this website, and my hackles tend to be up about it. I do apologize for snarking on someone else's work, that wasn't necessary.

That said, I do trust you're sincere and that there are efforts underway for official, clean release of these in some way. In fact, I very much like your idea of beginning in Canada for an official release and allowing those in the US interested to be able to buy them via import. I've purchased many an item from Amazon.co.uk and even Amazon.de (the German version). I have some knowledge of licensing and such so I can imagine that between Viacom/Nickelodeon and everything else in the US, it may just be easier to restrict it to our Neighbors To The North.

As for me, the tone of my messages was more informed by the fact that we've seen this kind of thing before as long-time fans of this wonderfully odd little show, and it really was a shame that after so much buildup it only slowly comes out that these were "holdover" releases while something more official could be worked out. And that said, I feel like anybody who'd buy them on DVD would do so regardless of whether clean copies were available elsewhere. It's a shame that the full situation couldn't have been made known from the start, especially since withholding of information and materials has been an unfortunate part of "rediscovered YCDT" over the years.

So I hope we can perhaps move on for the moment? Those of us genuinely upset by the watermarking have made our points heard loud and clear. It really does mar what should have been an absolutely joyful occasion, the unearthing of lost treasures. But it sounds as though the situation will eventually be rectified, and clean versions will be made available (at a better resolution than 240p, please!!!) If something similar is being intended with "Don't Look Now", perhaps the powers-that-be can let us all know the details before we get an unpleasant surprise when we watch the videos.

And the one thing that still genuinely confounds me, and maybe David can shine some light on this: why in the world were the initial descriptions for the episodes on iTunes synopses of never-since-seen 1979 episodes? It mentioned the Ottawa Water Slide and things like that. Why/how in the world...? Which leads me to believe that something has been planned for the "found" '79s for a while...

Leave a comment:

• mcguinnfan
    replied
    Thank you for your honesty. My first name is James, by the way, and I apologize for not having made that clear before. If you'd like my full name, I'll consider giving it publicly and certainly will be pleased to give it to you privately, via PM, if you wish. Most people on this board use pseudonyms, including one of the moderators (who, in the interests of absolute accuracy, also incorporates his real name into his signature). You made the choice not to do that, and to have your name, which is known in this community for your work as it relates to the show, associated with your profile. I respect that, and won't argue the question of whether it puts me at an advantage, or you. For the purposes of this board, I had always assumed that my posts would serve to identify me, insofar as identification was needed. If you will go back and read my old posts, you will see that I often refer to the people I'm addressing: by their real name if I know it, and by their pseudonym if I don't. Not only was I taught to do this at a very young age (ironically for our purposes here, as a sign of respect for the person being addressed), and have never got out of the habit, but also I find it important on a board like this, where other posts by other users may intervene, to make clear which user I am addressing. For instance, while I was typing my last post, Rob made a much shorter post that went up before I had finished replying to you. My use of your name was in part an effort to make clear that I was responding to you, not to him.

The way I write is the way I write, and my writing style is not intended as a weapon with which to "take people down." I am sincerely sorry, on both aesthetic and personal grounds, that you see it that way. I would say that most of the time, when I've been criticized in the past, it's been for over-qualifying, i.e., for not being explicit enough in expressing firm opinions, for using too many "perhapses" or examining a situation from too many angles. There is an extent to which, in my eyes at least, an excessive politesse on my part is detectable in other posts. To put it bluntly, I often pull punches. Perhaps I should have done so here.

My passion for the show has led me to be a bit dogged, some might say a bit overwrought or even a bit ridiculous, from time to time on this board. I have often reflected that, if an Andy Kaufman-style vote were held to decide whether I should be permitted to post here any longer, I might very well lose. Indeed, I'm sure there will be many people who will read your remarks above and say, "Way to go, [name redacted]." I accept that. A fly in the ointment is not always popular, and rightly or wrongly, that's what I've been. Perhaps I've been more trouble than I'm worth, and it's probable that I will scale back, if not outright cease, my activity here, now that you have alerted me to the fact that it has been counterproductive and hurtful to others.

I won't debate your points above, and I agree with you that, from a business perspective, we were not and are not "entitled" to know a damn thing. Sometimes, with a show like this, it's easy to forget that business factors are still paramount; and in a community like ours, it can sometimes be hard to discern who is "inside" the business, and who is "outside."

I understand that you will not reply to this message, and I think that's fine. We have gone far enough in insulting each other and hurting each other's feelings. I only post it publicly because some vestigial sense of honor won't let an attack on me go publicly unacknowledged. I apologize for my role in bringing us to this point, whatever it may have been.
    Last edited by mcguinnfan; June 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X