This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about when they got slimed

I have question regarding when they simed, watered, etc..I noticed some of the time, they were either barefoot or in thier socks. What was up with that? Looked kind of strange. I also noticed on a few occasions there would be wax paper on the floor when dumped upon. Again, what was up with that too?

Slime and water scenes were shot a certain way. The sketch was taped up to the sentence containing the magic words. Tape was stopped and a ladder was placed to the side, out of shot. Plastic tarp was placed on the floor. All individuals in the sketch took their shoes and socks off. With a bucket, a stagehand climbed the ladder and the kids got back in place. Taping resumed with a close up shot of the kid who was going to get it. He or she completed the lines and the dumping took place. Usually, tape would stop again. Often the tarp would be removed in this lapse of time. The kids would again get back in place with attention being paid to expression and placement of hands from where the shot left off (though the slime was somewhat runny by now). The last bit of lines in the sketch would be spoken and that was it. The slimed kid was off to the showers. The tarp itself was used to avoid mess to the floor. A plastic tarp can be picked up at its four corners and disposed without spilling.

Charles Hodges

Comment

Would you want to be wearing your shoes while getting slimed or watered??? These kids wore their own shoes to the show.
      Mark

Comment

It's also kinda interesting to note that in the early years, they'd just leave the plastic tarp on the set and occasionally you'd see it in the shot and other times they'd crop the shot right at the point where the plastic would be seen. The later years is when they would, more often than not, remove the tarp during a tape stop to make it appear like nothing was ever laid down.

Rob
        Rob Homa
        Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

Originally posted by slime2005
          Would you want to be wearing your shoes while getting slimed or watered??? These kids wore their own shoes to the show.
          I probably wouldn't, but they didn't always have thier shoes off when they were slimed or watered either before and after the silming or whatever. I know I've seen this.

Comment

Or in some sketches, like Lisa's last slime scene in "St. Patrick's Day/Green Slime Show", the shoes disappeared (or was it appeared? I'd have to look again) following the slime.
            "Without a song or dance, what are we? So I say 'Thank you for the music', for giving it to me...."

Comment

Originally posted by LastoftheGypsies
              Or in some sketches, like Lisa's last slime scene in "St. Patrick's Day/Green Slime Show", the shoes disappeared (or was it appeared? I'd have to look again) following the slime.
              Yup, you're right, it did disappear.

Comment

You can see all the behind-the-scenes stuff in this photo of mine:

If any of you still have my old 1985 "Romance & Dating" episode (the one with Doug as Cupid), take a look at Alasdair when he gets slimed at the end of the opposites. There was some kind of technical glitch that happened just as they were dumping the slime on him. I don't know what it was. I was standing there, and all of a sudden there was a commotion and the stage manager started shouting "Cut! Cut!" It was too late, though. Alasdair already had half a bucket on him. They had to throw him in the shower, clothes and all, and then set everything up again. So if you look closely at the shot, you may notice that Alasdair's hair and red MTV sweatshirt are already wet. And that was the last sketch of the 1985 taping session, too. What a way to go out.
                Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
                http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

Comment

Bob-

Thanks for posting the photo! I have to say that is one of the greatest things I've ever seen contributed to YCDTOTV.com.

If you have any other slime related photos or stories to share, I for one would be most appreciative.

Charles Hodges
                  Slime Society

Comment

Originally posted by Charles
                    If you have any other slime related photos or stories to share, I for one would be most appreciative.
                    I used to have bunches of photos, many from slimes and waterings. The sounds of the falling liquid masked my shutter noise, so they were easy to shoot. Alas, the one I posted is the only one I still have. Blame my ex-wife.

Slime stories...? Well, going on with the subject of whether or not you'd want to wear your shoes during a sliming, Vanessa got pretty upset when she was picked to get slimed in "Wildlife & Animals." It was a last-minute thing - we had a different sketch that would have slimed Doug, but it bombed in read-through, so we dumped it. Vanessa really liked the outfit she'd been given for the episode, and she was worried that the slime would ruin it. I don't think it did, but you'd have to check with her to make sure.

Another Doug & Vanessa slime story took place in the "Pessimism/Optimism" episode. That sketch was shot on the same day as Alasdair's "Romance" one, the last day of the taping session. There was originally this technically elaborate sketch written, with a little black cloud hanging over Doug's head. Brenda wasn't looking forward to it, which is why she'd saved it for the last day. Then Doug got food poisoning or something and passed out during the read-through, and Brenda asked me to come up with a nice, simple sketch that they could shoot on a make-up day, just in case Doug wasn't available on the scheduled day. As it turned out, Doug bounced back just fine, but they liked my sketch so much (or maybe it was just that mine didn't require any special effects) that they shot it instead of the original one anyway.

Your episode guide mentions that after Doug gets slimed, he reaches up and pats his slimy hand on Vanessa's shoulder. What you didn't see was Vanessa mouthing "You bastard!" at him a moment later.

And of course, your episode guide already includes the opening link sketch from "Revenge," when Lisa poured milk down Alasdair's shirt and it went straight into his shorts. Saving that take was one of Alasdair's finest moments.

Comment

Now how come the botched sliming didn't show up on the blooper reel? After watching it again, Alasdair's hair didn't seem to be too drastically different (good job continuity) but I could definitely see the darker tone to his sweatshirt. Very nice bit!

What did your ex-wife do with those pictures?

Rob
                      Rob Homa
                      Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

I'd always wondered that, if a sliming-in-progress was ever botched so badly that it had to be reshot... It pretty much seemed as though they kept what they could get, given the number of tongue slips and premature reactions in those scenes throughout the show's run. But sounds like reshooting did occur, at least that once. Thanks for sharing the stories, Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Mistoffeles
                          I'd always wondered that, if a sliming-in-progress was ever botched so badly that it had to be reshot... It pretty much seemed as though they kept what they could get, given the number of tongue slips and premature reactions in those scenes throughout the show's run.
                          Well, I'll tell you... one sketch that didn't go wrong, but that had everyone sweating bullets, was the grand finale of the "Movies" episode, when Lisa and Les get slimed and watered and then have a bunch of dialogue to do. Lisa's fancy dress was reminding everyone of the "Daddy's little girl" sketch from the "Divorce" episode, when she got an attack of the giggles and they had to do 17 takes (some of which are on the blooper reel). People were worried that Lisa would blow her lines after the slime started falling, because they didn't know how well the dress would hold up and so on. Fortunately, she came through just fine.

Speaking of the blooper reel, I'm guessing that Ric has gotten it by now...?

Comment

Originally posted by BBOvenGuy
                            Originally posted by Mr. Mistoffeles
                            I'd always wondered that, if a sliming-in-progress was ever botched so badly that it had to be reshot... It pretty much seemed as though they kept what they could get, given the number of tongue slips and premature reactions in those scenes throughout the show's run.
                            Well, I'll tell you... one sketch that didn't go wrong, but that had everyone sweating bullets, was the grand finale of the "Movies" episode, when Lisa and Les get slimed and watered and then have a bunch of dialogue to do. Lisa's fancy dress was reminding everyone of the "Daddy's little girl" sketch from the "Divorce" episode, when she got an attack of the giggles and they had to do 17 takes (some of which are on the blooper reel). People were worried that Lisa would blow her lines after the slime started falling, because they didn't know how well the dress would hold up and so on. Fortunately, she came through just fine.

Speaking of the blooper reel, I'm guessing that Ric has gotten it by now...?
                            Are you refering to the fact that you could see through Lisa's white dress on that episode?

Comment

Originally posted by rhodiecub
                              Are you refering to the fact that you could see through Lisa's white dress on that episode?
                              I've seen people claim that, but if it's true, I've never noticed it before - and I was standing right there.

Everyone was worried that Lisa would blow her lines or start giggling or something after they'd been slimed and watered, because there was no way they could get everybody and everything cleaned up and turned around for another take that day. They were also worried that the slime would stain the dress permanently, meaning they'd have to get another dress. So there was a lot of money riding on the take going right on the first try.

Comment

Working...
                              X