Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you been visiting YCDTOTV.com?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been visiting YCDTOTV.com?

This part of the board is appropriate for this thread, right?...

I discovered this site in 1998 when it was still members.aol.com/ycdtotv. Before I got a computer and internet access in late 1999, I used to go to the public library sometimes to come here. I didn't start posting at the Locker Room until early 2000. I heard the old board was like one long page of threads and replies. I never did see that board.

I know Will Dyess still frequents the site. Hi Will! And of course, Ric, Chris, and Rob are still here. How many other oldies are still here?
    Mark

Hi Mark!

I'm not sure exactly when I started coming to the site regularly, but I know it was soon after I discovered the show in June of 1999. It was certainly not before then. I was so inexperienced when it came to the internet at the time that when I first saw the Locker Room (it was the old version at that time, that I do remember), I was completely unaware of what it was for. If I remember correctly, I found the site by searching "You Can't Do That on Television" on Yahoo...and the rest is history, I guess.

It certainly doesn't seem like very many from the "old days" are still around, you've got that right, Mark.
    "Without a song or dance, what are we? So I say 'Thank you for the music', for giving it to me...."

Comment

Well, the first time I went to YCDTOTV.com, it was in 2001. It was early in George W. Bush's presidency and just a little bit before September 11th.

This site (and its many incarnations) has been an oasis for me, where I can share my memories of YCDTOTV, chat with like-minded individuals while listening to my LaunchCast internet radio player. It has been a place where I can relive one of the greatest shows to ever be on Nickelodeon.
      Freducation 2012: Celebrating 40 years of freedom and education. Education gets the upgrade.

Comment

When I got internet access at college, I was searching for things to look up and entered You Can't Do That on Television. That was fall of 1995.

I remember that one long page message board. My very first message board.

I know I don't post much these days, but I do try to at least pop in a couple times a month to see what is happening.
        Mark
        I'm not paranoid. Which of my enemies told you this?
        I...uh...have no idea.

Comment

I came across the site in the summer of 1995. I remember that message board that was one long thread. Having all the topics mixed together made for some interesting reading.

Comment

1995...I was trying to start a YCDTOTV fan club and by pure accident discovered Mosaic on the computers in the lab at my dorm. Who remembers that web browser???? That very day I began coding what has become YCDTOTV.com. Didn't know what the hell I was doing...

That one page thread was a NIGHTMARE to manage. Alanis' success with "You Oughta Know" was bringing a ton of traffic, so we had all kinds of posts I had to filter out. We also had our share of hackers that would come in a completely disable the posting functionality by entering HTML code in their post that would kill the board. It was all hand-coded with my zero years of experience with that sort of thing, so it wasn't even almost secure. Patrick Mills posted regularly.

We've grown by leaps and bounds since January 1995, and the latest incarnation of the site is in the works. It's still in its infancy, and I have a ton of coding and design left to do, but we've been rewriting and polishing the areas that are done. Late Spring / Early Summer sounds about right...thanks for continued support in helping us keep the show's memory alive.

R
            Ric de Barros
            ric@ycdtotv.com
            YCDTOTV.com

Comment

It was the summer of '99, I had just gotten my first computer with internet access, was bored and searching for stuff from my childhood and decided to search for YCDTOTV. After coming up with the usual batch of crud that had parts of the title but nothing relevant, and one short story taking place on the link set in .txt format that was totally inappropriate for kids, I came across the Slime Society's site. Within a few weeks I got hold of the episodes Nick aired during its birthday bash plus a few others thanks to the tape trade forums. Later on after I started "Melissa As Seen on TV" and that website I managed to get its logo added into the first SlimeCon program (or so I was told; I never actually got a copy of it lol), and I've hung around since.

Comment

Obviously I go back to 1995 as well. Ric may know the details better than me, but I remember there being an #ycdtotv IRC channel which is where I think I found both Ric and Tom. Tom and I had actually corresponded back and forth quite regularly with each other. I can remember e-mails I used to get and we'd play the "Who said it?" game. I wish I still had them. Then he sent me all of his tapes right around that time and I catalogued them all for him. He and I eventually met in person as well. I'd later meet Chris Gough in 2000 but, to this day, 12 years later, have never met Ric in person. Running into Ric on the net is where I get a little fuzzy, but I know Tom and I knew each other first. I remember we were planning a 15 year anniversary recording in 1996 (before we realized there was a 1979 season) with a re-enactment of the Christine and Vanessa slime sketch from Television. In a way, I'm glad that never happened!! haha Picturing Tom in a pair of pastel overalls is something I don't want to envision again anytime soon!!

Rob
                Rob Homa
                Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLockerMonster View Post
                  Ric may know the details better than me, but I remember there being an #YCDTOTV IRC channel which is where I think I found both Ric and Tom.

I remember we were planning a 15 year anniversary recording in 1996 (before we realized there was a 1979 season) with a re-enactment of the Christine and Vanessa slime sketch from Television.
                  Rob, you and Tom both found the site like a month or so after I was working on it and sent me e-mail within minutes of each other. That's when I started to meet you guys in the IRC chat sessions to plan the fan club and web content. I remember us plugging the IRC channel on the web site and actually getting people join us on occasion as a result.

I remember we were planning to do that video for the fan club. Like Rob said, it was supposed to be a compilation of best skits from 1981 - 1990, hosted by your fan club president and vice-presidents (me, Rob and Tom). HAHAHA!

With the multi-colored slime scene from "Television" being our favorite slime scene, we were going to show it last. However, when it came time to play it, I was to say to Tom and Rob that the clip was missing and that everyone was going to be disappointed if we couldn't include it. We were going to huddle or something, recant nervously to the camera about the clip being missing and announce that it would be shown right after the NEXT slime scene.

The next slime scene was to play and then the camera was to cut to Rob and Tom dressed like Christine and Vanessa (complete with wigs), who were to redo the scene. Then after it was all said and done, I was to announce to Tom and Rob that we had the real scene all along and I made them redo it for my own kicks...and cue real "Television" slime scene.

What a trip down memory lane that was....so young and ambitious we were.
                  Ric de Barros
                  ric@ycdtotv.com
                  YCDTOTV.com

Comment

I've been around this site, off and on, since 1995 as well.
                    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
                    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLockerMonster View Post
                      In a way, I'm glad that never happened!! haha Picturing Tom in a pair of pastel overalls is something I don't want to envision again anytime soon!!

Thank you for making me spit all over my keyboard!

Comment

I lurked around here years ago, interested in this show, and curious to find out as much as I could and see episodes/clips.

Speaking of the YCDTOTV.com predecessor, I may not have been around for it, but thatis 'reelivant for this tidbit:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/members.aol.com/ycdtotv still has some of it. Not much, but some of it still remains.

Comment

I was going to post that archive link. But archive.org has been letting me down with all of their disappearing data. They HAD a lot of old websites almost in their entirety but now they're just disappearing piece by piece until eventually there's nothing left.

There goes one of the purposes for having archive.org, right out the window...
                          Mark

Comment

I think I first stumbled across the site in 1999. Didn't actually first post in The Locker Room for more than a year, though, as I mostly lurked.

I do remember when the site had the chat room up. I went to the chat room one time and I don't think anybody was there.

Funny how things worked out. I never expected I'd eventually come up with a fan fiction to contribute to the site, but I did.
                            Bob Morris
                            Head writer #3 - You Still Can't

Comment

Originally posted by slime2005 View Post
                              I was going to post that archive link. But archive.org has been letting me down with all of their disappearing data. They HAD a lot of old websites almost in their entirety but now they're just disappearing piece by piece until eventually there's nothing left.

There goes one of the purposes for having archive.org, right out the window...
                              Archive what you can fast if the disappearing data thing is going to get worse then.

Comment

Working...
                              X