This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the very first Barth's sketch

I spotted it from Youtube, an exterpt from the 1979 YCDTOTV spin-off "Whatever turns you on" featuring the 1st cameo of Barth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEV2M...eature=related

Oh yeah, his hat used to say "Chef" instead of "Barth." When did they change it?

Comment

it's all pretty vague, but i remember les talking about a fire in the cjoh studios and they had to remake alot of costumes that got fire/water damaged.. that might've been when they remade barth's costume, but i could be wrong..

Comment

I'm sure Bob Black knows the exact date, and it might even be captured on an older thread, but I know the costume change occurred before the 1985 season. In all honesty, I somewhat preferred the first Barth costume.
        Rob Homa
        Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

The fire happened between the second 1984 set and the 1985 set. The new costumes were used for the first time when I was there in the summer of 1985.
          Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
          http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

Comment

wasn't there also an episode where ross talks about a fire next door and they kinda built the plot around it? i vaguely remember it, but i can't remember which episode it was.

Comment

That was Inequalities : Kids vs. Adults from 1983. There was a fire in the studio next door, which the kids had to put out and then had to suffer from the adults taking over their dressing room and their studio, just because they were adults.

What's really funny is that when I was a kid, and heard Eugene describe the fact that someone fell asleep on a casting couch smoking a cigarette, I thought a casting couch was a real couch that actors sat on while waiting for their auditions! LOL Now knowing what it really is, that was rather bold for a kids show! Obviously Nickelodeon hadn't dumbed down their material yet!

Bob, did Nickelodeon have any input on the writing on the show while you were on it? It's pretty obvious that the target age range for the show decreased the longer it was one and was no longer a show for pre-teen and up by the time they got around to the mid 80's.
              Rob Homa
              Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

that's interesting. i thought it might've been a reference to the real fire, but i guess it was just a coincidence..

Comment

if you saw it you were lucky

ive never seen one ep of 'whatever turns you on'.we got ycdtotv and turkey tv here in the states where i grew up and we were lucky to get that.my family even had cable a lot sooner than most people sometime around 1977-1978 here in southern calif.im very familiar with ruth buzzi -she was a very popular comedian-comedienne here in the states in the late 60s and early 70s

Comment

Originally posted by TheLockerMonster View Post
                    What's really funny is that when I was a kid, and heard Eugene describe the fact that someone fell asleep on a casting couch smoking a cigarette, I thought a casting couch was a real couch that actors sat on while waiting for their auditions! LOL Now knowing what it really is, that was rather bold for a kids show! Obviously Nickelodeon hadn't dumbed down their material yet!
                    LOL! I pictured the "casting couch" in the same way as a kid. I'm sure it was an inside joke among the writers and they meant for it to go over the kids' heads (including Eugene's, considering how little he was at the time)

I haven't been to this site in probably 4 or 5 years, and it's been a real hoot checking out all the new stuff.
                    Lisa: "Dad, my friends at school say you have no savoir faire"

Senator Prevert: "Subway fare?? Why would I need subway fare?? There are no subways in this city!"

Comment

Working...
                    X