X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickelodeon Changes Its Image

http://www.idsgn.org/posts/nickelodeon-cleans-up/

The old-school Nickelodeon logo, referred to as the "splat" design and certainly heavily influenced by YCDTOTV in its day, has been changed to a more modern look. This truly may have been the last example of Nickelodeon staying true to its roots with its messy gameshows and entertainment shows (YCDTOTV and Double Dare being the most well-known).

It's pretty much a reaction like that of Mr. Horse on Ren and Stimpy:

"No, sir. I didn't like it."

They can clean it up all they want, but they'll never get away from what made them successful, and who had a huge hand in doing that (YCDTOTV).

Comment

I still remember the "stately silver ball" that came before the "splat."
      Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
      http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

Comment

I agree with Bob. I loved the pinball and thought the change to the logo in January 1985 (which was just the white italicized letters on the orange background with no splat) was really lousy. I'm not a big fan of the newest logo either and I think they could have gone old school and brought the 21st century pinball out.

Fans of this site can rest assured that the Slime Society logo will retain the splat
        Rob Homa
        Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

I have the Nickelodeon Nation book and Geraldine Laybourne said they changed the logo in 1985 because the pinball logo stereotyped kids and thought it insulted them (the pinball/arcade look and especially the rainbow colored letters).

As "distant" as I already am with Nickelodeon, seeing them change the logo after so long is sad. I always loved the orange-and-white logo. Oh how I miss those mid-80s station IDs......
          Last edited by slime2005; August 5, 2009, 07:58 PM.
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
            I still remember the "stately silver ball" that came before the "splat."
            Yeah, I saw that. Have to say, that was an awesome logo in its own right.

I did some checking up on it and many people (even I had no idea of this) don't realize that Nickelodeon started out as Pinwheel (not to be confused with a show of the same name on Nick) back in the late-70s.

Comment

Originally posted by slime2005 View Post
              I have the Nickelodeon Nation book and Geraldine Laybourne said they changed the logo in 1985 because the pinball logo stereotyped kids and thought it insulted them (the pinball/arcade look and especially the rainbow colored letters).
              Interesting. I was never insulted by it. I miss the bubble letters and the bumpers with the time zones in different colors (there was even a commercial designed to help kids know what time zone they lived in and what color they should look at)

I hope more of the YCDTOTV commercials from the pre-85 days show up one of these years. Those are total classics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py488B17zWI
              Rob Homa
              Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Comment

Working...
              X