View Poll Results: Have you requested YCDTOTV on DVD/ Blu Ray?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • on Amazon.com usa

0 0%
  • on Amazon.com canada

0 0%
  • on TVShowsOnDVD.com

3 37.50%
  • Both Amazon & TVShowsOnDVD

3 37.50%
  • Other

2 25.00%

Thread: Poll Position: YCDTOTV

Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid RadamusPrime's Avatar

Default Poll Position: YCDTOTV

How many people/ fans have requested, "You Can't Do That On Television," to be released on DVD? Do you have the drive to race YCDTOTV requests to the most anticipated show to be released on DVD/ Blu Ray?
    "Multiple personality? They haven't got ANY personality on this show. Oh!"

BluRay would kind of be pointless except inasmuch as you could fit an entire season onto one disc.

We are talking about a show produced on standard definition videotape with mono audio here.

Talking Upconversion should be fine, why?

This Blu Ray should come in green!

I collect 80's TV on DVD. My HD TV is a 50/ 60 hz, while I play on Blu Ray player. My old standards play just fine when tuning bright vs contrast. I reduce the "noise" or blur between 1 & 2 or up/ down 1 on tv. However, on a 120 hz the standard will look almost like a home movie. They should look great! The newer, stainless plasma's are out at 600 hz. Awesome and eye-popping. Bringing the front picture (body outlines) forward and pushing back the background.

I have the 1976, Bugsy Malone, on Bu Ray! Filmed in standard upgraded and cleaned through the power of Blu Ray. Looks great! I really don't know what your talking about.--Also, you can upgrade your nintendo and playstation wires to play w/ out mess on HD.

Did you vote? Don't forget to vote!!

Ah, but you must remember "Bugsy Malone" was shot on 35mm film, which inherently has 4x the resolution of BluRay.

YCDTOTV on the other hand was shot on standard definition video tape, it is eternally fixed at 480i (and quite possibly lower), and while there is hardware/software which can "up-res" the image, no further detail can be obtained.

With "Bugsy Malone" (or any movie shot on film) BluRay is simply revealing detail that was there all along, but beyond the resolving capabilities of previous video formats.

Question 35mm?

So, you are saying that a movie film resolution would be much better than standard movie camera? I think I might get some of what you are saying. But, isn't Blu Ray supposed to ugrade the clarity and magnify detail?--So, if an old movie like Bugsy Malone was filmed on 35mm camera, what mm was YCDTV filmed on?

YCDTOTV wasn't filmed on *any* mm film because it wasn't filmed on film, it was "filmed" on videotape. So transferring it to Blu-Ray is like transferring VHS tapes to DVD...it may preserve the quality, but it won't enrich the details beyond the original tapes.
    "Without a song or dance, what are we? So I say 'Thank you for the music', for giving it to me...."

Thumbs up Gotcha!

Now I understand.-So, YCDTOTV was filmed on video tape. Were/ are most TV shows filmed on videotape?--Anyway, I gotcha. Thanks.

Film was cheaper than Video for years, but in the mid 70's, the price became close enough that the advantsages of video, such as instant review and re-usable stock, made it the prefered medium for tv. From 1975 on, most shows are on tape. Before that, most were filmed. There are exceptions of course. Videotape was used for TV way back in the 50's even, but most stuff on tape from then was recorded over.

If your interested in this sort of stuff, this article is a good read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/kinescope

Talking YCDTOTV on 35MM

Ah, its all hard to understand. So much hype goes into advertising and stuff, I guess.--I'll take a look at that wiki leak MM stuff. Not that I am interested in film so much, but just to get a better understanding of video tape vs 35mm. Thanks

Let me try to put this in a way that non-tech-heads can understand.

Film records an image photochemically, there are many websites and books (yes books!) you can refer to for a more detailed explanation, but essentially: light hitting the film causes a chemical reaction which creates an image that you can see on the film. To get an idea of how much detail the image contains, check out this video on the recent restoration of a 70+ year old film. Filmstocks have improved since 1939.

Videotape uses an image sensor with pixels on a fixed grid. Light striking each pixel is converted to electrical energy, which is then converted to magnetic energy, which is then stored on a tape. You can't see the image on the tape because 1) it can only be "seen" by an electromagnet, and 2) it's not in one piece like the image on a piece of film, it's made up of thousands of individual pixels. It is not possible to capture or reproduce any detail smaller than one pixel.

As far as which shows/movies were shot on what:

The vast majority of movies that have been released to theaters were all shot on film. Even as of this moment 90% of movies playing in theaters were shot on 35mm film. It is, among other things, the most cost-effective way to get a high quality image onto a theater screen.

In television, the history of film/videotape usage is longer and more complicated than I care to get into here, but in the 80s, when YCDTOTV was made, videotape was pretty much the only option for low budget cable shows like YCDTOTV, while pretty much any network series that had any potential of foreign sales would still be shot on film (even flatly-lit sitcoms) because, due to incompatible video standards, it was the only way to ensure a high quality picture on both sides of the Atlantic.