Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few inquiries

Fry Cook at Barth's Barth's Burgery Count Floyd's Avatar

More about cast members and the bus.....

As per the YCDTOTV intro, the cast rushes the entrance of a building (with a "160" clearly showing) and Les Lye as a security guard trying to block the entrance.

The "160" is 160 Elgin Street in Ottawa, the Place Bell building which is also featured in the WTYO intro.

https://www.google.ca/maps?q=&layer=...ed=0CDQQxB0wAQ

Nice info.

Oh yeah, another question. Why weren't the other 1979 kids, like David, Cyndi, Jim, and Tim, etc. carried over to WTYO (aside from the pilot) or the 1981 season?

Edit: I found out the answer to this thanks to reading one of the interviews.
    Last edited by ssjup81; July 4th, 2013 at 01:17 AM.

I was just wondering, why are the 1981 hour-long eps "missing"? What happened to them? Also, why was Zilch's character fazed out? I thought he was interesting. Felt sorry for him most times, especially in the bully ep where he kept getting hit in the head with a frying pan. >< lol

That aside, I'm one of those who wasn't particularly fond of the Barth skits. I thought they were gross, but the 1981 eps with Barth aren't SO bad. It seems to be more implied that his food is bad and made with terrible things as opposed to its literally being bad. Like that scene where Rodney asked for the recipe of his burger mix and he named all those disgusting things and after Rodney passed out, he said he was just "foolin'. Wish the syndicated version would've left that last part in. For the Nick version seems like he was dead serious.
    Last edited by ssjup81; July 4th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid

Not direcly YCDTOTV related but I couldn't resist to ask.

In the pilot of UFO Kidnapped, where Les Lye perform Sam the burglar, searching for jewelry and money, in a mansion was owned by Roger Price. Did that mansion still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
    I was just wondering, why are the 1981 hour-long eps "missing"? What happened to them? Also, why was Zilch's character fazed out? I thought he was interesting. Felt sorry for him most times, especially in the bully ep where he kept getting hit in the head with a frying pan. >< lol

That aside, I'm one of those who wasn't particularly fond of the Barth skits. I thought they were gross, but the 1981 eps with Barth aren't SO bad. It seems to be more implied that his food is bad and made with terrible things as opposed to its literally being bad. Like that scene where Rodney asked for the recipe of his burger mix and he named all those disgusting things and after Rodney passed out, he said he was just "foolin'. Wish the syndicated version would've left that last part in. For the Nick version seems like he was dead serious.
    I have to wonder that if Roger Price had the hour-long '79 eps and shared them with us, perhaps he has the hour-long '81 eps as well and perhaps one day will decide to share those with us as well. I really want to see the hour-long version of Drugs (I know Locker Monster has said he has a piece of it). For some reason it seems there doesn't seem to be as much demand for the hour-long '81s among fans as there was for the 1979 episodes. Perhaps it's because those eps did make it to the U.S. albeit in edited form.

I too personally find the earlier Barth skits - i.e. through 1984 - better than the ones that came in later years. They just seem to be more cleverly written. One of my favorites has to be the one from Culture Junk with Moose interviewing Les as "Peter C-o-c-k-roach" about what he thought about Barth's cooking, and Barth saying, "Did I hear THAT?" after C-o-c-k-roach gave the restaurant a glowing review. (EDIT: Spelling of Peter's last name changed so the first four letters wouldn't get bleeped)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInMI View Post
    I have to wonder that if Roger Price had the hour-long '79 eps and shared them with us, perhaps he has the hour-long '81 eps as well and perhaps one day will decide to share those with us as well.
    I really really hope so! Seems he'd have those eps too, right? I'd find it odd to have the '79 eps and not the '81 eps. The drug ep is one I REALLY want to see the hour-long version of. The Fitness ep too...but only because Rodney's in it. The Work ep would be interesting to see the hour-long version of too as well as the Dating ep (only because I'm curious how they did the phone-in competitions since the storyline had Christine hogging the phone), but hands down, it's the drug ep I really really REALLY want to see.
    I really want to see the hour-long version of Drugs (I know Locker Monster has said he has a piece of it).
    lol So I'm not the only one who wants to see this ep in its entirety. lol
    For some reason it seems there doesn't seem to be as much demand for the hour-long '81s among fans as there was for the 1979 episodes. Perhaps it's because those eps did make it to the U.S. albeit in edited form.
    That's probably why. At least we got to see some of the '81 eps, albeit not the hour-long version, but we still got something.
    I too personally find the earlier Barth skits - i.e. through 1984 - better than the ones that came in later years. They just seem to be more cleverly written. One of my favorites has to be the one from Culture Junk with Moose interviewing Les as "Peter C-o-c-k-roach" about what he thought about Barth's cooking, and Barth saying, "Did I hear THAT?" after C-o-c-k-roach gave the restaurant a glowing review. (EDIT: Spelling of Peter's last name changed so the first four letters wouldn't get bleeped)
    lol Yeah the Barth skits weren't AS disgusting as later. When Les said in one of his many interviews that in the US, seems kids loved Barth's character, I was thinking, "Why?" I just couldn't get into him at all, although I did like the "What do you think's in the burgers"/"Who do you think's in the burgers" and his "I heard that", but overall, it was just too gross for me. I was never a fan of toilet humor much, which may also explain why [as a kid] I wasn't too fond of the '80/90 season of the series, even though I don't recall many eps. I just remember wanting to see earlier eps and not those eps whenever it was on.

I will say this for Barth, though...he was more evil in those earlier eps, like most "adults". lol

Oh yeah, another inquiry. In the pilot of WTYO, Elizabeth Mitchell was in it and was seemingly going to be cast as a regular along with the two Kevins, Jono, Rodney and Christine. Now, what I'm wondering is if Lisa was a last minute addition, or rather substitute, for Liz since she didn't do the show. Liz and Lisa along with Ramona and Robin (I'd say) were pretty much the youngest ones there and the other two weren't really "regulars". In an interview, Liz mentioned that her folks weren't fond of her doing YCDTOTV. I wonder if that's why she wasn't around for WTYO and why Lisa was put in the show instead. It would've been interesting seeing her carried over to the 1981 eps too.

OH and something else I've noticed about the show are the personal attacks or certain personality traits played up. I'm curious how the writers decided on some of the things to poke fun at. For example, we know why we got "motor-mouth Lisa". Late to a rehearsal because she got detention for talking in class. Marc was written as being "girl crazy", sorta. Was there any truth in it? For WTYO, Rodney was written as being disgusted by girls. Was that done because he was the youngest boy or was there a little truth in it? And speaking of Rodney, I notice that for the 1979 eps and the 1981 eps he's always being punished/spanked for something, whether it's a skit where it's implied he was spanked by the principal or the producers or a joke about his being spanked by his father. Oh and there is the WTYO pilot where Ruth spanked him, then again Ruth is nuts! lol She smacked Jono down when he said he was "sick of school" and that looked like a real hit too! Like it connected. Either way, the spanking theme with Rodney seemed to be pretty consistent. Was he a troublemaker? Did the producer actually spank him for some reason at some point?

Wish the old cast members frequented the site more. If I could ask Rodney Helal a question, the spanking one would definitely be one of them. lol
    Last edited by ssjup81; July 8th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

I'm sorry for bumping, just wondering about the previous posts. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
    Alasdair's romantic interest should always be unnamed and unseen, so that girls in the audience could imagine themselves in the role.
    And, no doubt some boys in the audience, as well.

That 1979 episode where the cast play for laughs the idea of same-sex couples at a dance... I wonder what those cast members think now, 39 years later?

If you were writing the show, who would you match each of the following gals up with.

Moose
    Lisa
    Cyndi
    Sarah West

Vanessa
    Liz Richardson
    Klea
    Marjorie Silcoff
    Alanis
    Andrea Byrne
    Stephanie Chow

Jennifer Brackenbury