Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: "One-episode wonders"

  1. #1

    Default "One-episode wonders"

    So who were your favorite - and least-favorite - kid actors in YCDTOTV history who appeared in only one episode?

    My faves:
    - Naida Gosselin in Poverty/Unemployment. Her acting was a little on the rough side but it really worked for her character. Not to mention she was one of the (un)fortunate one-episode wonders who ended up slimed in her only episode.
    - Tanya King in Fitness. I thought she was actually pretty good, and given how young she seemed to be, it surprises me she wasn't in more episodes.
    - William Pohoresky in Chores. Like Tanya, I was surprised he wasn't used more, because I thought he was pretty good. And he took one of the best slimings in the show's history.
    - Tony Lefevbre in Sports. He looked quite a bit like Rodney Helal. Sadly he didn't last as long as Rodney.
    - Jordan Arron (Aaron?) in Time. Not only was he only in that one episode, he wasn't even on the link set at all. 1989 was an interesting season in that there really weren't any bad actors that season, and even the one-episode wonders (like William, Jordan, and Vicki Essex) were pretty good.

    Least faves:
    - Natalie Salat in Rules and Regulations. Bad acting even by YCDTOTV standards.
    - Jamie Martin in Ripoffs. Seemed to me like he was trying too hard with his acting, to the part where he really OVERacted. (Of course, he did cameo after the closing credits in the Bullies episode.)
    I can't really think of any others I didn't really care for.

  2. #2

    Default

    My favorite one-timer was Natalie Radmore
    My least favorite...one word: KETTTTTCHUP!
    Rob Homa
    Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

  3. #3

    Default

    Hahaha. For those who are testing our webcast, Rob's favorite should be obvious. But I agree with those same choices.

    Favorite - Radmore
    Least Favorite - Salat
    Ric de Barros
    ric@ycdtotv.com
    YCDTOTV.com

  4. #4
    Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInMI View Post
    - Tony Lefevbre in Sports. He looked quite a bit like Rodney Helal. Sadly he didn't last as long as Rodney.

    - Jamie Martin in Ripoffs. Seemed to me like he was trying too hard with his acting, to the part where he really OVERacted. (Of course, he did cameo after the closing credits in the Bullies episode.)
    I can't really think of any others I didn't really care for.
    Interesting to note then both Tony Lefevbre and Rodney Helal starred in UFO Kidnapped.

    As for Jamie Martin, it was okay for me. He didn't overeacted like Alastair when he said to Alastair he dropped his 1875 nickel in the soda machine.

    Other good "one-episode wonders"
    -Charlie Brien in "Heroes", note then the slime used on him was very liquid.
    -Jeff Mousseau as Ross' nephew in "Families", he didn't escaped the slime.
    -MJ Malcolm in "Country"

    Let's add also a "Missed opportunity" category:
    -Roddy Contreras, Eugene's brother in "Television". He should had done more skits then only appearing in the locker jokes.

  5. #5

    Default

    Okay, it falls to me to defend Natalie Salat again. As I see it, there are three mitigating points in her favor:

    1. Rules and Regulations is a heinous episode: I'd group it, along with its cringeworthy predecessor Pets (which finds six grown men writing "dog" jokes for two teenage girls to lob at each other) and a few others, among the worst episodes of the C.E. (Christine Era). Its premise is simplistic and intellectually dishonest, and the writing (even apart from that) is weak. Christine appears rightly embarrassed, and even though she, Brodie, Lisa and Les struggle valiantly, you can't polish a turd. What kid, new to the cast, could excel in such an episode?

    2. She's barely in it. Though it's easy to say this is a matter of "cause and effect," it's hard to judge her on such scant evidence.

    3. Whether intentional or no (and admittedly signs point to "no," in the words of the magic 8-ball), I've always appreciated her droll delivery of the "KETTTCHUP?" line...and her solo "Now, what *I* wanna know" monologue strikes me as pretty solid.

    Now for my actual favorites:

    Corey Fraser, Cooking
    Andrew Burke, Friends
    Jeff Mousseau, Families
    Eugene Miyagawa, Foreign Countries (Eugene in particular earns special mention, because Foreign Countries is also a very poor episode. Actually, the odd cast of Christine, Alasdair, Pauline Kerr, Angie Coddett and Eugene utterly excels, turning this comically weak and unimaginative script into a half-palatable episode.)

    I'd give honorable mention to young Mr. Martin as well, plus Forest Wolf Mohawk in Justice/Injustice, and I also endorse dumas's mention of M.J. Malcolm, though I can't group her among my favorites, because in my opinion Country is probably the worst episode ever (though votes for the latter-day Smoking will also be taken), yet she gives it her all. You've got to love that kind of commitment.

    As far as my least favorites, I typically don't like to pick these, because I don't like to judge the kids too harshly; most of them are just prisoners of the episodes that they happen to be in. (How else to explain that Adam Kalbfleisch, one of my favorite second-tier cast members, ends up in two of my least favorite episodes, War and Country?) All I'll say is that, if I did pick a couple, they'd clearly draw an argument from some of the people who posted above!

    Finally, thanks to Chris for the cool thread; this has been a lot of fun. (Don't know if you're a fan of your home state's NHL team, as I am, but writing this post has helped me stay sane while I listened to them blow a two-goal third-period lead tonight!)
    Last edited by mcguinnfan; May 11th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
    "Now me, I play for fortune
    And those velvet curtain calls
    I've got a black limousine and two gentlemen
    Escorting me to the halls
    And I'll play if you have the money
    Or if you're a friend to me
    But the one-man band
    By the quick-lunch stand
    He was playing real good
    For free..."
    -Joni Mitchell

  6. #6

    Default

    I will say that as rough as I thought Natalie's performance was and as weak as some of the 1983-84 episodes were (Politics is probably my least favorite), even a bad episode of YCDTOTV beats 99.9% of what's been on Nickelodeon in roughly the past 15 years or so. Even the worst episodes and the weakest actors have something to recommend them, and quite honestly I don't think the show ever had an actor whose performance was so bad it made me turn off the TV (or computer as the case may be).

    I don't dislike "Pets" as much as some of the other posters but do agree that the Lisa-calling-Moose-a-dog jokes had definitely worn out their welcome by halfway through the episode at latest. Not to mention I think Lisa's slime scene in that ep was weak - it seemed to me to be one of those skits that was only written as an excuse to slime someone. (But I give it points as it was one of the last slimings to use that think, sloppy 1982 recipe.) But I digress.

    You guys mentioned some other ones that I enjoyed, including M.J., Corey, Jeff, Forest, and the other Natalie (Radmore), the latter three of which were also (un)lucky enough to end up slimed in their only episode - another was Todd Corrigon in History. I have to wonder if the reason Natalie Radmore wasn't used more was that she looked quite a bit like Lisa at that time and they didn't want to create confusion. And although Corey escaped the slime, he didn't escape the pies!

    And hate to disappoint you, McGuinn, but I'm not a hockey fan (or even really a sports fan), despite the fact that I do live quite close to Canada. The border crossing from Detroit to Windsor is maybe 40 minutes away from where I live, and I live close enough to the border to remember the Saturday-morning CTV network airings of YCDTOTV on CKCO-TV out of Sarnia. But again, I digress.

  7. #7

    Default

    I've never had too big a problem with Politics myself, though I know it makes a lot of "worst-of" lists. Like nearly all the episodes geared specifically to the American market, it's a bit perfunctory (and frankly my one major problem with 1984 is that there's an effort to stretch maybe 18, 19 episodes' worth of good material over 26 episodes), but I think the script is okay, the interplay between Christine and Lisa is cool, and any episode that features the rather manic contributions of Justin Cammy seems to get bumped up half a notch in my personal ratings system.

    But your point is a good one. We're talking relative terms here when we pick the "worst." It's another variation on the old adage: would you rather hear Otis Redding sing a bad song or Chris Brown sing a good one? For me, it's an easy answer, and I'd watch Rules and Regulations a dozen times, and Natalie with it, before I'd watch even a minute of a "good" episode of, say, "Fanboy and Chum Chum."

    Back to the point of the thread, the pie scene with Corey is a masterpiece in my opinion. All three of them (Christine, Lisa and Corey) really sold it. Part of the reason why Corey is my favorite one-episode wonder is that he really seemed like an integral part of the cast; there was nothing "attached" or "tacked on" about him.
    Last edited by mcguinnfan; May 11th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
    "Now me, I play for fortune
    And those velvet curtain calls
    I've got a black limousine and two gentlemen
    Escorting me to the halls
    And I'll play if you have the money
    Or if you're a friend to me
    But the one-man band
    By the quick-lunch stand
    He was playing real good
    For free..."
    -Joni Mitchell

  8. #8

    Default

    I know everyone on here hates Nickelodeon now-I feel the same way about the Cartoon Network-it was better when it was "bad" so to speak. when the CN had no money, all they could afford to do was show old Hanna Barbera cartoons and such-but this lead to incredibly creative promos and bumpers that made brilliant post-modern use of recycled animation and resulted in the creation of amazing absurdist shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Now that they have money they show overproduced crap. Same goes for Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite-they were more creative when they had little to work with. But I don't hate everything on the Nick today. The new Ninja Turtles show is very good and actually makes me laugh out loud at times. And even though a lot of the teen type sitcoms they air are pretty formulaic-I don't know how anyone can think that the acting on ycdtotv was better then the acting of these kids nowadays who have acting beat into them from birth.
    The acting on ycdtotv was supposed to be bad. The kids were amateurs, by design, and to me, some of the performances were very cringe-worthy. Christine and Les and a couple of the others were very good -but even christine had her slip ups. Anyone notice how in "rip-offs" she goes almost instantly from being angry at Lisa "Well thanks a lot Lisa!" to "anyway" switching how she is emoting on a dime just to cram the scene in- you wouldn't see that kind of thing in the cookie cutter type shows they have now. But I think that does add to the charm of this show. I think ycdtotv used the same philosophy as Roger Corman did when making movies -"I don't want it done good, I want it done Thursday!" But I liked that. Especially the fact that the show was self aware of it's own "bad-ness" you wouldn't see a Nick show today admitting to any of it's faults.
    And the "dog" jokes could just be viewed as one jealous girl being mean to another girl. I think everyone knew Moose wasn't really a dog.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ugotslimed View Post
    I know everyone on here hates Nickelodeon now-I feel the same way about the Cartoon Network-it was better when it was "bad" so to speak. when the CN had no money, all they could afford to do was show old Hanna Barbera cartoons and such-but this lead to incredibly creative promos and bumpers that made brilliant post-modern use of recycled animation and resulted in the creation of amazing absurdist shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Now that they have money they show overproduced crap. Same goes for Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite-they were more creative when they had little to work with. But I don't hate everything on the Nick today. The new Ninja Turtles show is very good and actually makes me laugh out loud at times. And even though a lot of the teen type sitcoms they air are pretty formulaic-I don't know how anyone can think that the acting on ycdtotv was better then the acting of these kids nowadays who have acting beat into them from birth.
    The acting on ycdtotv was supposed to be bad. The kids were amateurs, by design, and to me, some of the performances were very cringe-worthy. Christine and Les and a couple of the others were very good -but even christine had her slip ups. Anyone notice how in "rip-offs" she goes almost instantly from being angry at Lisa "Well thanks a lot Lisa!" to "anyway" switching how she is emoting on a dime just to cram the scene in- you wouldn't see that kind of thing in the cookie cutter type shows they have now. But I think that does add to the charm of this show. I think ycdtotv used the same philosophy as Roger Corman did when making movies -"I don't want it done good, I want it done Thursday!" But I liked that. Especially the fact that the show was self aware of it's own "bad-ness" you wouldn't see a Nick show today admitting to any of it's faults.
    And the "dog" jokes could just be viewed as one jealous girl being mean to another girl. I think everyone knew Moose wasn't really a dog.
    The self-deprecating humor was one of my favorite things about YCDTOTV as well. I always loved the jabs at the show Moose threw into her introductions - i.e. "Welcome to an episode of YCDTOTV that'll really turn your head... and probably your stomach." (From Jealousy, one of the better '84 episodes, IMO.)

    I don't disagree that YCDTOTV wasn't as sophisticated acting or technical-wise as what's on Nick today. It was supposed to be about kids making a show for other kids, and they used ordinary kids, most of whom had no prior acting experience, although they of course got drama training. And many, like Moose, Lisa and Alasdair to name only a few, had natural talent that just blossomed as the show went on. Some, like Natalie Salat, didn't, but one could make a case that because of this, they seemed more "normal" and perhaps more relatable.

    What attracts me to YCDTOTV as an adult looking back is the edgy sense of humor that was unlike much of what had previously been attempted in North American children's entertainment, not how well-acted/technically good (or bad) it was, though it's sometimes fun to mock the low production values. The production values weren't what made the show memorable. I think 1979 cast member Elizabeth Mitchell said it well in her interview posted on this website - that Roger Price's British approach to humor, which was misunderstood and criticized by many Canadians (and Americans too), was what made the show stand out. To my knowledge, Nickelodeon doesn't have anything like that today, anything pushing the envelope and the boundaries of taste. Then again, a show as edgy as YCDTOTV was 25-30 years ago would be too risky to try today; a 2013 version of YCDTOTV (assuming it was made for kids) would be neutered in the name of political correctness. Still, will Big Time Rush have as many devotees 20 years after it goes off the air as YCDTOTV has now almost 20 years after it disappeared from Nick forever? I suppose anything as possible, but I have to wonder.

    Nick in my opinion was a lot more fun to watch when they imported most of their programming from overseas - YCDTOTV (as well as other shows like "Fifteen") from Canada, "Count Duckula" from England (and many others), lots of anime from Japan, etc. It had a much more sophisticated feel and an international flair which is really missing from the network today.
    Last edited by ChrisInMI; May 12th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInMI View Post
    Then again, a show as edgy as YCDTOTV was 25-30 years ago would be too risky to try today; a 2013 version of YCDTOTV (assuming it was made for kids) would be neutered in the name of political correctness. Still, will Big Time Rush have as many devotees 20 years after it goes off the air as YCDTOTV has now almost 20 years after it disappeared from Nick forever? I suppose anything as possible, but I have to wonder.

    Nick in my opinion was a lot more fun to watch when they imported most of their programming from overseas - YCDTOTV (as well as other shows like "Fifteen") from Canada, "Count Duckula" from England (and many others), lots of anime from Japan, etc. It had a much more sophisticated feel and an international flair which is really missing from the network today.
    I completely agree on these points. An episode like "Bullies" showed skits where Barth hit Zilch with his frying pan numerous times or the opposite sketch in "Culture junk" where Kevin K. said "I'm gonna shot the neighboors" wouldn't be acceptable today and I didn't count Capitano's executions attempts. Maybe the YCDTOTV revival could be on Amazon video or Netflix like the series "House of Cards" and "Alpha House".

    And currently Nick is referred as the "Spongebob network" with the numerous Spongebob airings but from what I read on other forums, they try to rectify the solution. The "international flair" could be applied to YTV Canada as well. YTV is now a shadow of itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •