Thread: Nick Considering Revivals of Classics

Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid

Default Nick Considering Revivals of Classics

I spotted that article from Variety via a post on Toonzone who mentionned Nick reviving a reboot of classics including YCDTOTV since Nick ratings had dropped. http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threa...ssics.5501032/
    http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/nick...ld-1201583856/

Before SpongeBob SquarePants, before Dora the Explorer, before “iCarly,” there was still Nickelodeon.

The Viacom-owned kiddie outlet rose to notice on the backs of programs like “The Adventures of Pete & Pete,” “Double Dare” and “Hey Dude!” And now, its top programming executive suggested, the network is considering ways to bring a small handful of its oldest programs back to its schedule.

“We are looking at our library to bring back ideas, shows that were loved, in a fresh new way,” Russell Hicks, president of content and development at Nickelodeon, told Variety.

Under the plan, the network might seek to experiment with retooled versions of classics that could include “Rugrats,” “Hey Arnold!”^ “You Can’t Do That on Television” or “Victorious.” The shows might not come back as series, but could appear in other formats, like a movie or special. And they likely would not constitute the bulk of the network’s development efforts.

Interesting idea, but to make it FULLY work, you'd need Les Lye... who is dead.

They could make a new show and call it You Can't Do That On Television, but the chances of it capturing the magic of the original would be slim. Les Lye is no longer with us, and they just don't make actors like him any more. They wouldn't want to make the show in Ottawa again, and even if they did, the old CJOH studios are gone. They'd probably want a slick, polished Hollywood look for the show, when a low-budget, small-studio look was a big part of what gave the original its charm.

There's always a chance that lightning could strike twice, but I don't think it would be a very good chance.
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

I have thoughts about a remake of My Three Sons in which Dodie comes out.

or maybe she becomes a transman named Doc.

Maybe Hollywood's ready for it...

Quote Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
    There's always a chance that lightning could strike twice, but I don't think it would be a very good chance.
    Exactly. I'd estimate an 80% chance the new show would suck, and a 20% chance it would be at least passably entertaining.