Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Age"

Slime Mixer Link Set

Default "The Age"

At what point or how old, did a potential cast member reach "the age" where he or she was too old to be on the show anymore?

Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid RadamusPrime's Avatar

Default the age old question

Well, I think I remember Alasdair say one time that he was sixteen. I can't recall the episode, though. If Star Trek fans are called, "trekies." What are the die hard fans of YCDTOTV called? I don't think I'll be able to quote everyones lines or date episodes, but I am a fan. Maybe I am a generic fan? Thats bad news. Maybe it makes me normal, though. Wow, I am normal
    "Multiple personality? They haven't got ANY personality on this show. Oh!"

I don't think an official name has been coined. A "Slimey" perhaps?

According to Geoff Darby, in the early years, it wasn't so much how old you were, but if you could get away with looking young and being short. The Anniversaries episode currently available for viewing on the main page actually pokes fun at the casts growth (or lack thereof). Alasdair was a "man of 15" in 1986 when he left the show. 15-16 was probably as far as you could go in the later years, especially if you were a boy.

This isn't a verified fact, but it's an interesting observation nonetheless. In 1984's Courage episode, there were several "wedges" of risers removed which I found rather odd. In thinking about it further, because Kevin Kubusheskie had grown so tall by then, if they had put him in the suit of armor at the same level as Christine and Lisa on camera, there would have been no way to get them all in the same shot, so they took out pieces of the risers so that Kevin was at floor level.

Rob
    Rob Homa
    Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Slime Mixer Link Set

One thing about Alasdair is that he left the show not too long after he took over being the host of the show in 1986.

I would have to agree that is had more to do with how much a cast member "matured" and how tall they got rather than how "old" they were. Christine was on the show forever. By far the oldest member to say with the show for any amount of time. I think Van could have stayed on the show longer if they had wanted her too. The age episode showed that she didn't look that much "older" than the other kids. She could have taken over Christines role as host quite easily. I honestly think the show not airing in 1988 really killed the show. It prevented a smooth transition between the "old" cast and the "new" cast.
    Of course I would love if they would bring the show back with a new cast and maybe some of the old guys and gals playing the "adult" roles. But that is another post I guess.

Slime Mixer Link Set

Quote Originally Posted by khyron32 View Post
    I honestly think the show not airing in 1988 really killed the show. It prevented a smooth transition between the "old" cast and the "new" cast.
    I agree with you on that. I would've like to have seen more of the 1987 cast regulars with some of the future 1989 cast members slowly transitioning into the cast.

Cue Card Holder Link Set jakepeter11's Avatar

Lightbulb

'Quick' changes like that aren't so friendly to most people and also quite rude!
    A YCDTOTV fan should be called a 'Slimer'. Ooh a good poll question, quickly make a poll!
    Last edited by jakepeter11; February 17th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Can green slime be a different color?

Change Attendant Blip's Arkaid RadamusPrime's Avatar

Default What in the world

1st: The hiatus, if that it what its called, did probably hurt the show. But I read in another thread that Nickelodeon was wanting more originals of their own. I can see a point there. But, they did move it to the states for production. I guess that could have killed the show.<<Especially the talent that was already on it.

2nd: Jakepeter, I don't know what your post means. Did you post it just to make someone say "I DONT KNOW?"
    "Multiple personality? They haven't got ANY personality on this show. Oh!"

Yeah I know Nickelodeon wanted to create more of their own "orginal" shows but YCDTOTV was Nick back then. They ruined the first and best show Nick ever had. I agree that they should have transitioned the "new" cast in better but such is life I guess.

Yes, Christine and Lisa are good examples of the idea that age didn't matter, but rather what age you could convincingly act like. Some of the cast probably could've stayed much longer than they did.