Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popularity of the show

Slime Mixer Link Set

Default Popularity of the show

How long was YCDTOTV the top rated show on Nickelodeon? Was still a top ten show during the hiatus and when it came back in 1989?

I don't think anyone has ratings details that specific except maybe for Geoff Darby, but I believe it was the end of 86/ beginning of 87 when YCDTOTV lost the crown to Double Dare.
    Rob Homa
    Slime Society "Info Dude" since 1995!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLockerMonster View Post
    I don't think anyone has ratings details that specific except maybe for Geoff Darby, but I believe it was the end of 86/ beginning of 87 when YCDTOTV lost the crown to Double Dare.
    That's correct - 1986.
    Ric de Barros
    ric@ycdtotv.com
    YCDTOTV.com

Slime Mixer Link Set

I'm sure "You Can't..." was very popular on Nickelodeon. I mean they played YCDTOTV eveyday for about 7 years twice a day.

Waiter at Barth's Barth's Burgery

I can't say where it was in the ratings, but if you ask most people who were kids or teenagers in that era (and I've asked a few. or more than a few) they remember it.

It was pretty popular. According to my mom, my dad liked it and would have watched it with kids or not.

Cue Card Holder Link Set

I started watching this in 1986 regularly. Before that, it was a flipping through the channels thing. I remember the 1st week I started watching the new episodes was the last 5 episodes of 1986. Then watched all the reruns.

I did a book fair today, and whenever I mentioned having written for YCDTOTV, people recognized it.
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

I just remember stumbling upon it. Moose, Lisa, and Alisdair, along with Les's characters were what I remember most from that time, so I'm guessing I found the show early to mid 80's. I'd never seen the end of the 80's cast until youtube and that was this year!

Cool, a writer for the show! I've been curious if the shenanigans during the end credits were scripted or completely ad libbed. I'm leaning more towards thinking they were ad libbed. I also wonder if anyone on the show had a tendency to do the same with their lines?
    "I heard that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skymouth View Post
    Cool, a writer for the show! I've been curious if the shenanigans during the end credits were scripted or completely ad libbed. I'm leaning more towards thinking they were ad libbed. I also wonder if anyone on the show had a tendency to do the same with their lines?
    Yes, I drop by when I can.

The shenanigans during the end credits were generally planned but not scripted. That is to say, cast and crew would talk through a general idea of what was going to happen, and then the kids would ad lib the actual take. And they'd usually run for about twice as long as they actually needed.

The kids (and Les and Abby as well) were encouraged to take liberties with their lines. Sometimes they'd stray too far from the original point in the script and we'd have to nudge them back, but otherwise we let them put their personal touches on things.
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...