Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the ycdtotv kids

Default Question about the ycdtotv kids

I was looking at pics of all the different parts of the set on this very website the other day and noticed there was an area called the "coffee break/makeup area" there was even a picture of what looked like moose-holding a cup of coffee standing next to some coffee makers.
    did they really show the kids on the show drinking coffee? was moose drinking coffee in that pic?" and wouldnt the cast bea bit young to be depicted having coffee in the firstplace?
    just curious-does anyone remember how often this "coffee break"m area was used?

Well, Moose was a bit older then she looked, as Les Lye revealed in an interview, so that might be the reason. Also, it could have been tea as well.
    "I heard that!"

Well most sets have a "craft services" area that offer at the very least coffee, doughnuts, tea and water. Most offer much more. I'd imagine this was just the snack area for YCDTOTV and nobody put much thought into what the kids drank.

I mean it was the 80's nobody really cared. Today somebody at Nickelodeon might stop and question a teenager/tween drinking coffee, but at the time I don't think it was a huge deal.

actually i would assume it would be more common to show kids having coffee in this day and age what with the populaity of starbucks and other candy-like beverages being reffered to as coffee.
    It felt like back in the pre-starbucks 1980's no kids drank coffee and you didn't start untill you were like 25 or something. now I think it's more common.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotslimed View Post
    actually i would assume it would be more common to show kids having coffee in this day and age what with the populaity of starbucks and other candy-like beverages being reffered to as coffee.
    It felt like back in the pre-starbucks 1980's no kids drank coffee and you didn't start untill you were like 25 or something. now I think it's more common.
    You'd think but both Nickelodeon/Disney are so health-conscious today with kids today. Always making sure they talk about eating health food, have juice, etc. Obviously there are exceptions, but it is getting more common to set a good image in terms of food/beverage for kids.

They also showed alcohol and smoking regularly, which would never get by in a kid's show today.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotslimed View Post
    I was looking at pics of all the different parts of the set on this very website the other day and noticed there was an area called the "coffee break/makeup area" there was even a picture of what looked like moose-holding a cup of coffee standing next to some coffee makers.
    did they really show the kids on the show drinking coffee? was moose drinking coffee in that pic?" and wouldnt the cast bea bit young to be depicted having coffee in the firstplace?
    just curious-does anyone remember how often this "coffee break"m area was used?
    Yes, it was coffee. That was the real coffee break area in the studio. Hey, why create a set when you can just use what's already there, right?

Remember that YCDTOTV was made in Canada, and coffee is the most popular drink in Canada, or at least it was in the 1980s. I was there in the summer of 1985, when the whole "New Coke" fiasco was going on in the US, and the Canadian news reporters were almost laughing on camera about the fuss Americans were making over soda pop.
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

I can see Christine drinking coffee cuz she was about 20 but playing a teen-however what about the younger cast members? Was it acceptable in Canada in the 1980's for -for example-Jill Stanley to have a morning cup of java?
    I know different cultures have different rules and it's cold in canada-but kids in the U.S in the 80's just didn't drink coffee. The grown ups would have thrown us in the dungeon for it!

actually I just saw a sketch from -i forget which year it was-but christine and lisa are in what appears to be the coffee break area-and they are complaining about the producers wife having taken half of everything-christine is complaing that there is only half a tea bag left -so perhaps-(unless we know for a fact moose was a coffee drinker when she was a teenager)-in the pic i saw-maybe she was having tea.
    Actually this is the only sketch I ever saw in the coffee area. Was that area ever used otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
    Yes, it was coffee. That was the real coffee break area in the studio. Hey, why create a set when you can just use what's already there, right?

Remember that YCDTOTV was made in Canada, and coffee is the most popular drink in Canada, or at least it was in the 1980s. I was there in the summer of 1985, when the whole "New Coke" fiasco was going on in the US, and the Canadian news reporters were almost laughing on camera about the fuss Americans were making over soda pop.
    that may have been the coffee break area but how do you know it was coffee? Or did everyone in Canada regardless of age just drink coffee because it was so cold all the time? Can I assume Avril Lavigne is also a coffee drinker as well?