Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did u think Green Slime fell from?

Default Where did u think Green Slime fell from?

In the fantasy of the show-(not the reality, where we know it was stage hands with buckets on ladders.) where do you think the slime was supposed to be falling from?
    Were there large pipes in the ceiling of the fictional studio?
    Huge tanks of green slime up in the ceiling?
    Did trapdoors open on the ceiling randomly dumping it down?

Was it a magical mystery slime cloud that rained it down?
    would buckets of the stuff have to be shipped in to refill the tanks weekly?
    - why did the studio have a sliming system in it to begin with?

AND how come the characters couldn't escape it?
    Was it ever explained on the show?
    Where did your imagination take you with this when you were watching?

As a kid, I always imagined a catwalk over the Link Set where stagehands dumped slime and water on kids who said the offending words. I suppose, in the fantasy of the show, that it's mysterious, and even the kids themselves aren't sure where it comes from.

First post, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 12 View Post
    I suppose, in the fantasy of the show, that it's mysterious, and even the kids themselves aren't sure where it comes from.
    For the most part, yes.

However, there were exceptions. Probably the most explicit case was in my own "Wildlife & Animals" episode, where Alasdair gets hit on the head and thinks he's a monkey. You actually see him up on the catwalk (although you don't see the stagehand hanging on to him by his pants), and at one point he's playing with "the switches that control the buckets of water."

There was also the bit in "Revenge," where they have Julio the new stagehand who drops the water when he hears "agua." That was a Josh Morris gag.

And the last bit I remember was at the end of "Enemies & Paranoia," where the Russians throw pies in everyone's faces. As the credits roll, you can hear Adam Reid - in what I'm sure was an ad-lib - say, "Wow, did you see that giant pie?"
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 12 View Post
    As a kid, I always imagined a catwalk over the Link Set where stagehands dumped slime and water on kids who said the offending words.
    same here.. i figured they probably had a few planks high above for the stage hands.. i never imagined they were on a ladder...

Quote Originally Posted by crusher willis View Post
    i never imagined they were on a ladder...
    Some of the kids were so short that the stagehands didn't even need a ladder.
    Robert A. Black, YCDTOTV writer 1985-86
    http://www.rablack.com

Ah yes... very tricky, those Argentinians...

makes me wonder - was there ever a slime scene filmed with a wide-shot where the slime was dropped some other way besides using a ladder? i can't think of any off the top of my head, but it's been a while since i've watched the show..

in Blame, i believe, Amy wakes up and asks for a glass of water. Mom comes in and yells at her for wetting the bed. Amy says she doesn't know how the water got there. The whole thing is done as a wide shot, but it still seems to be an out-of-frame ladder

When I was really young I didn't even think about stagehands dropping buckets full of slime and water on the cast members. I used to imagine it was somehow controlled by a machine. There were a couple of episodes where they referred to the slime being computer- or machine-controlled. In "Future World" (1983), Moose got slimed for saying "Insufficient data" (and nothing happened to her when she said "I don't know" twice afterward in the same link), and Lisa tells her the slime is now computer-controlled. Also, didn't Ross make some reference to the slime machine being broken in "Malfunctions" (1989)? (Of course that turned out to be a lie "to teach the little ankle-biters to be on the set on time", as Ted, Stephanie, Carlos and Jill all said "I don't know" at once and were slimed.)

Cue Card Holder Link Set

In Sexual Inequality, Moose got slimed on the ladder. So its definitely not the ladder guy :P

Cue Card Holder Link Set

One episode gave us the answer to where slime came from.

A cloud. "Outer space" episode revealed it